Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L 4-5 Fusion why wont anyone listen

I have had back surgery before in 2006 they did a Laminectomy/microdiscetomy and i was in alot of pain for a long time afterr it. I am having L4-5 fusion surgery in 8 days and i am scared to death because i cant get my pain managment doctor to listen to me. I have a high tolorance to pain meds and my doctor told me last wednesday that he did not want to start me on anything new this close to surgery so instead he increased my norco 10-325 from 2 every 8 hours to 2 every 6 hours. I told him that itt was not helping with the pain at all. Im in alot of pain now and i know i will be in alot more pain after surgery. I called my nurosurgions office and asked his nurse if they will manage my pain after surgey and she told me that they will but they dont prescribe anything stronger than the Norco 10-325 and i wont be able to talk to my pain magt doctor till my apointment on the 27th so im just screwed it doesnt matter if i take 2 of the Norco 10-325 or if i take 10 of them they dont help PLEASE anyone have any advice

• In my experience after surgery in the recovery room they treat my pain until under control.
    We don't leave the recovery room until pain is under control. My meds are always changed when going home from surgery vs what I was taking before surgery.
    I have a pain management doctor but after surgery I don't return to him for several weeks.
    My surgeon takes care of me about one or two months after surgery then I go back to pain management. Don't let this worry yourself sick. Most hospitals have help if your in pain and it isn't being managed well. It will.work out and they should be able to tell in recovery what meds and how much you will need. You should leave this hospital with scripts for pain meds.
    Yes it's true some doctors will not write much in the way of pain meds. I have a feeling you will be treated better after surgery. It might be that norco will.cover the pain but in a larger amount. They may send you home with a patch. You have to wait and see. After surgery be honest with them about your pain levels and give them a chance.

Good Luck