Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

spinal decompression surgery...2 months later...

70 years old....mri significant, severe spinal stenosis...no emg... didn't see neurologist, but diagnosed by one 6 years ago as moderate...lived with it through exerc. etc..surgery... removed facets, 3 systs etc...tons of calcium...surgery of 3 hours turned into 6 hours.....pre-surgey before oct. 8---extreme heaviness, esp after sitting...could walk a mile with dog though very, very cumbersome....could walk on heels and toes...no numbness on upper feet....no balance problems....only extreme pressure in lower back, not much pain......no pain etc in arms......post surgery---after 6 days in hospital---2 weeks of inpatient phys ther...3 weeks of out patient surgery, to regain walking... Neurontin 1200 mg...600a.m....600 pm...no pain med....no feeling in right big toe now... symptoms worse.... balance problems at times...extreme heaviness now on under feet...minor tingling now...told I walk like an old man man ...this can't be normal..... at first visit to neuro-surgeon , at 6 weeks was told it may take up to 6 months....can't walk on heels and toes now......looking forward to chat and sharing

• chuckkelcchuckkel Posts: 2
    edited 12/02/2013 - 12:06 PM
    decompression surgery
  • Hi
    I had 3 laminctomies for very severe stenosis 17 weeks ago and am now having low back "catching type" muscle spasms.
    Getting slowly worse...
    Just had an MRI and am waiting for the results
    I wonder whats going on also
    Is what you and I experiencing "NORMAL" healing aches and pains????

To be continued after receiving MRI results
  • michele lenammichele lena Posts: 21
    edited 01/05/2014 - 1:32 PM
    For severe spinal stenosis. I am terrified, but I can longer be "upright" for more than 10-20 minutes at a time because my head hurts, I get dizzy, I pass out and my legs give out. My doctors are afraid I will have a stroke. I am 51, a widow, with a 13 year old. My family is "tired" of my disability so I get no help from them. I am no longer able to drive and have to have help with almost everything. I have pain, but I guess I am used to it cause I was born with this and have had back problems and procedures since I was a teen. I have lost feeling in many parts of my body, but I figure its better than being in pain. I researched this forum and nowhere is it mentioned that severe congenital stenosis, like I have, can be deadly. Follow up and get your mri's done as ordered because this is not only debilitating, but potentially deadly.
  • http://www.spine-health.com/search/google/Congenital canal stenosis?query=Congenital canal stenosis&cx=000920495788068656876:g_h27naqu74&cof=FORID:10&sitesearch=

I did a quick search using the search bar at the top of the page and found several pages of links to articles, other posts in the forum - all dealing with congenital spinal stenosis.
    I am not aware that it is deadly, however. Debilitating yes, and causes permanent damage if not treated to release the compression, but deadly?
    Stenosis is a compression of one of two areas, either the foramen where the nerve roots exit at each level of the spine, throughout or in the central canal itself. If it is in the central canal, it is either due to congenital problems, such as spina bifida, or some other birth anomoly, and can cause a smaller than normal canal diameter....other times, it occurs due to strenous overuse/abuse of our spines as we are younger and sometimes it occurs for seemingly no reason that we can figure out, and it may worsen over time , or it may not , but in cases where the compression is severe, surgery is the only answer to relieve the compression. I have it as well and my canal is only open 3.14 mm at last measurement when the normal amount is something like 14 mm in the lumbar area or so I have been told..
    Surgery , no matter how many we have had previously, is a frightening prospect, but I hope that yours will bring you far more relief than you can imagine and hopefully, once your recovery is complete, you are able to find yourself doing things that you haven't been able to enjoy for a long time.
    I'm also sorry about your loss and the struggles in your family.
  • Chukkel.. Looks like we are in the same boat..I began having numbness in left leg and foot and some nerve pain in right leg a year before I had open lumbar laminectomy and decompression in August 2013.. Prior to surgery, I had tried everything from Chiro, deep tissue massage, spinal injections, even accupuncture.. Nothing worked and it was getting worse so surgery was the only option.. I am six months post op.. I have undergone the recommended professional Phys Therapy, exercise regimen recommended by the Neurosurgeon, hydro therapy, swimming.. the whole bit.. And, though I have had breakthrough moments, other than being in good physical shape other than my legs, I am having the same symptoms as before surgery.. It seems like I am back to square one..In fact the Neurosurgeon has ordered another MRI to see why I haven't progressed as far as I should have.. Are you as frustrated as I am?
This discussion has been closed.