Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Can anyone here relate to this?

Hi everyone

I am a middle-aged male with a history of cervical arthritis at C-4/C-5, a bone spur, nerve impingement and various other issues having to do with my neck. I think there may be some disk involvement as well (ie; some disintegration). I think they call this "Osteoarthritis". I have been diagnosed, had many head/neck scans and even that test where they shock you and your arms are jumping around all over the place (nerve conductivity test?). I was told to take nsaids (which do seem to help somewhat).

Over the years I have experienced various popping, cracking and crunching noises/sensations when I move my head. This is often followed by pain and a period of stiffness and brain fog (where I feel really spacey and out of it). I also get random pains and various odd sensations in my neck, shoulders and arms. Sometimes (but not too often) there is numbness or muscle twitches. Once, many years ago, I woke up and discovered that my right arm was completely paralyzed (quite terrifying to say the least!). That lasted for half a day. The sensations range from burning to an "icey" feeling to just plain pain. Sometimes I get a dazed, dull, pressure or very mild headache feeling in my head as a result of this. Other times, the back of my head (sometimes on one side or the other) aches.

These episodes seem to come in bouts or "flare-ups" where I'm feeling just great for awhile and then all of a sudden I get hit with this and feel pretty lousy (and sore) for a week or more. A few times I have fallen asleep in a chair and woke up feeling like my neck was broken. Another couple of times I have had really severe bouts where my whole neck felt it was crumbling and falling apart with tons of pain.

I guess the point of my posting all of this is to see if anyone else can relate to me and my symptoms and also to find someone who I can talk to and share experiences with because it gets kind of lonely when you are suffering with this and have no one to talk to about it. Anyway, thanks very much for listening and for any replies I get.

• I can relate to the popping. I've had numbness as well. Not for half a day though. Did you call the doctor?
  • Helen3Helen3 Posts: 205
    edited 12/25/2013 - 7:22 PM
    Symptoms. Wake up some mornings an feels like some one tried twist my head off. Lots popping an cracking, dizziness at times, face twitches a lot.

I've had a nerve block done an it seemed to help but there's so much going on I only felt "different". Still have pressure an pains but something is different. So I guess it helped.

Have you had any test done recently? What did doc say, or recommend or suggest?
    Let us know.
  • Have you consulted with a board certified spine surgeon recently? If not, it might be a good idea to at least consult with one and possibly he may have you get an updated MRI or CT scan done to check on things now. All of us will have some degree of disc dissecation ( drying out of the discs in our spines as we age), this is considered a normal finding, ) unless there is severe deterioration for our age groups....and it is impinging on a nerve .
  • Yes!!! Sometimes out of the blue, it feels like I'm looking/listening through a haze. My face & scalp tingle & sometimes I get a running water sensation on my scalp or pressure in my ears &/or nose. Sometimes it's accompanied by a buzzing sensation in my arm or abdomen. The fog may last a few minutes or sometimes I work through it for a couple of days.... Any news?