Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain upon waking

I am 61 yr. old female in good health except that in the last 6 months I've been waking every morning with pain in the mid back. It involves thoracic spine, erector muscles, rib cage and shoots through to the sternum. I am physically active and do a lot of yoga. Have used chiropractic and massage therapy over the years but nothing seems to really address this problem although they provide temporary relief. I sleep on my back and side and have a good mattress. Any suggestions will be gratefully received. Thanks.

• hello Yoga....i keep a hot water bottle filled in my freezer . i use it for 20 min on my mid spine and right butt and calf. i does this especially if i am going out . i use a walker when outside of the home...hope this helps.
  • I use heat - obviously ice works but not for me, - I sleep with a pillow between my knees. I also have built up shoes on one side as after my accident one leg was shorter than the other. My hips were not aligned. I have mechanical thoracic damage and mine does not wrap around my ribs but many people here have that type of pain so should be able to advise you.I just read something about when thoracic pain wraps around, and what the normal cause is, so you might like to google it, can't remember where I saw it.

You need some tests. I would have a standing Xray and an MRI to see if there is anything else happening. All your vital organs are around your thoracic spine so it could also be referred pain. My ribs, shoulder and spine were not in alignment, T4 slipping out to the right, long story - I had to do all the research myself for 8 years as nothing worked as mine is not textbook so they couldn't work it out. A physiotherapist thought outside the box and worked out the problem. Now I have pain free hours, sometimes days. For me that is a miracle. Maybe have a look at your body alignment. as well.
  • Have you had this investigated by your family doctor?

My back pain is often worst when I wake up. I guess because everything is stiff from lying still for eight hours. I usually put some heat rub (Bengay, Deep Heat etc.) on right away followed by stretches/yoga, massage chair and or wheat bag/hot water bottle. If it's still hurting a lot I might take a long soak in the tub after breakfast. It's tempting to just go back to bed when the pain is bad, but that's not a good start to the day.