Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

severe nerve pain post op

Hi everyone,
I had decompression surgery 2 days ago on L 4 on the left and L5 on the right. No fusion. I did well the first day and a half then the pain started becoming more and more acute. Severe shooting pains down the backs of my legs on movement, standing and walking. Just aching when lying down or reclining quietly. Unable to move around by myself now at all. I did call my surgeon who ordered a steroid pack for me. So I started that this afternoon.

My question to you all is this...has anyone else experienced this? This pain is far worse than the pain I had pre op and the pain meds don't even touch it.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts,

Age 60
Spinal stenosis, central & foraminal
1/13/14 decompression surgery bilaterally @LL4 & RL5

• Healing nerves can be very painful. I remember that happened to me and my Dr did the same thing ( called in a steroid pack). They are fireing off and trying todo their jobs but have been damaged.

I hope you begin to feel better.

Herniation of l5 S1 l4 , DDD , microdisectomy in June 2013 and re herniation in September
    Cervical herniation at C5-7 Jan 2014 with impingement of spinal cord. 2 level cervical fusion Feb. 2014 and 2 level lumbar fusion in April 2014
  • I had a laminectomy on 1-10-14. The same thing happened to me very acute pain down my left leg. Doctor called in a steriod
    pak. I have been wearing my compression belt and being very careful with my posture. I,m having alot of sucess with very little pain. I hope it continues. Im still taking pain meds also.
  • Thank you for your replies. I'm day 4 post op now, day 3 of my steroids with minimal relief. Barely walking due to the shocking pain in my legs which is far, far worse than I ever had pre op. I really hope I start to get some relief soon as this has me wishing I never considered surgery. I am in unbelievable pain on movement and the opiates aren't touching it. How soon did you feel better after starting the steroids?

• Just wanted to update you all. Its now 12 days post op and I'm doing much better. The shocking pain has subsided significantly and I'm moving around fairly well now. Sore and more pain by late afternoon but overall improving steadily with a lot less pain.
  • my pain is slowly going away, however the last few weeks was a challenge I must say.
  • Best thing you can do is walk. Im 7 weeks still dealing with hip/groin pain but seems like I have good days/moments so I guess its positive
  • neomom2nneomom2 Posts: 10
    edited 02/01/2014 - 10:36 AM
    Well, I had been doing well until this afternoon. Walking well with minimal discomfort, fatigued and sore by late afternoon. Went out this afternoon to the store and got rear ended by a pick up truck! Now very stiff and sore with pain down to my thighs. Really don't need this and hoping its just temporary.
  • Oh my gosh, Wendy.......
    So sorry this happened to you and hope you have no new injuries! I'm 4 weeks out from a lumbar fusion and this is one of my greatest fears now when driving. I hope this won't be huge setback in your recovery.
    Synovial cyst removal in 2008. L4-L5 facet joint.
    Lumbar fusion at L4-L5 in December 2013. TLIF posterior entry
  • had my 2nd mirco-D on 12/9, and I'm still experiencing pain down my leg, from my buttocks to my heel. Some days are better than others, and it has subsided a little bit.

I know your feeling when you say the opiates don't even touch it.

Have you tried Lyrica for the nerve pain at all? It has helped me slightly, but not the big relief we are looking for.

Hope you are ok from the accident! Recovering is a long, slow process.
    L5-S1 Herniation. 1st MIrcrodiscectomy 11/9/13. 2nd Microdiscectomy 12/19/13