Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Severe foraminal stenosis

When I first read my own MRI report, it may as well have been written in Greek. After doing some internet research, I see there is a difference between "foraminal" stenosis and central canal stenosis. My MRI shows severe foraminal stenosis and mild central canal stenosis, both at C3-4 and C5-6. I will be seeing a NS in a few weeks. Because of personal reasons, I desperately want to know what treatment to expect, conservative or surgical. If it's surgical, I need to be making some plans. I understand the forum rules prevent anyone from giving medical advice. I just wonder if anyone has had a similar diagnosis/experience that they would be willing to share.

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    I don't know if you have read these articles on the site but I have posted the links they may help if you haven't

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • hello ab1988
    I also have bilateral neural foraminal stenosis and mild canal stenosis. My symptoms are neck pain, shoulder pain and bicep pain. This condition developed over many years. When I finally had a complete workup with mri I was sent to neurosurgeon who suggested two level acdf with complete hardware. When I first started having problems it was just a few days a month. Now after years my pain is everyday. I know I will have to have surgery soon. I have more pain on my left side than right with the exception of my shoulder blades which hurts uniformly across both. About two years ago I started going to pain management. I now take tramadol, flexeril, and lyrica for nerve pain. I have to keep working to provide for my wife and stay on healthcare benefits. I dont know your symptoms but there arent many here with severe neural foraminal stenosis. I know others here are in great pain, however this disease is no picnic either.
    I would be happy to answer any questions for you.