Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain meds

Ok so last April was in a car accident and have a compression fracture now L4 and L5 are collapsed... I've seen 3 different spine surgeons.. None of which have done anything no brace no therapy no meds other than gabapentin.. Current doctor here in Jeff city MO.. Has done MRI.. says he wants to try ESI.. I've requested meds just to help worth the pain so I can at least sleep and get on with my life and still nothing.. I'm in pain everyday.. I'm over it.. I have the ESI this week.. Any suggestions or help as to what I should be doing?
MO Pain

• I have been alternating cold packs and heat packs. My Dr just gave me Norco which helps some. Muscle relaxers did nothing for me.
    jeanne mcdonough
  • RickilalasRRickilalas Posts: 559
    edited 01/27/2014 - 10:37 PM
    Starting out doctors will be slow to give pain meds until they have some form of evidence showing a cause of pain.

Mo Pain if ESI doesn't help talk with doctor and say this isn't helping what else can we do
    Don't ask for strong meds. Let them take you there and if your in major pain and they don't get into meds with you because some will not you may have to find another pain management doctor that will help.

Here again they started you on some meds and you may not be getting the help you need. Ask if there is something else to try if these are not working. There are several muscle relaxers and sometimes we try a few until one works and the same for pain meds.
    Just be honest and say this isn't working if it isn't. Let the doctor.decide what you need.

Good Luck
  • Thanks all... I've just never had back issues in my life not even while I was pregnant.. So now having had this I completely get the whole ouch my aching back... I'm hoping the ESI tomorrow is somewhat successful... I'm extremely nervous and I HATE needles... I asked if there is like twilight offered she says yes but it takes longer than the whole procedure.. Frankly I don't care I just don't want to be aware of what's going on.. Secondly I can't lay on my stomach for even a minute without severe pain so I don't think I would make it thru 15 minutes to do the procedure.. Is it better with or without relaxation?
    MO Pain
  • If you read the link at the bottom of this post, you will see the Step by Step Guide to getting Chronic Pain treated.........read it, it gives you an overview of the steps taken by the doctors when it comes to treating chronic pain and also gives you some ideas for managing the pain, during the process of finding out what is causing the pain.
  • H.EvanHH.Evan Posts: 11
    edited 01/30/2014 - 8:47 PM
    Agree with Scott, try hot and cold packs. Also let your doctor know that your meds don't work for you.