Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Exercise or No Exercise !?!

I'm 33 & have had 3 back surgeries last one being lower lumbar fusion of 2 levels . Before injured & all the surgeries i was extremely athletic & also did weight training. I miss my body the way it was before all this happened . Is weight training a possibility again or out the question? Is there any thing i can do to tone my body back up since the surgeries ?

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,833
    Welcome to Spine-Health, How to get started

Thats a difficult question to answer. We have had members here that had spinal surgery and returned to weight training and other physical type of sport activities. But there were limits and restrictions on just how much they can do and how often.

The best person to answer your question is your doctor. They will be able to spell out exactly what you can and can not do.

Any member here can only give you suggestions based on their personal experiences. But none of us is you.. Everyone is different
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I have read so many different cases and the responses that people get seem to be all over the board. It seems to vary greatly with where you had your surgeries (cervical, thoracic, lumbar,..) and the number of levels you had done. Most people here report an easier transition back into exercise if they were doing it before surgery. For example, I only missed three days of exercise but I only had a single level C7-T1 ACDF. I could only do stationary bike and some walking but just keeping in the habit really has helped me so far.

What has been confusing for me is that the NS told me I could do a lot more than what my PT told me. I just went with the more conservative of the two. The last thing would be to re-injure and start all over!!!

Best of luck. You have made the first step by thinking about it!
    C7-T1 ACDF 12Dec2013
  • nikki Shoennikki Shoe Posts: 1
    edited 01/30/2014 - 5:40 PM
    i listened to all the docs that told me i couldn't, and shouldn't, take this drug, and that drug, I've had two cervical fusions in the past five years,,,from a car accident… prior to that, i had just completed the big sur half marathon. I've been on a long journey, learning to be my own advocate, learning that the docs don't always know what is best for me, my situation, and my body… I've accepted that i will always live with chronic pain, but in the last month, i have weaned off my last opieds, and replaced the drugs with exercise, with the help and guidance of a wonderful doc and pt and trainers…i finally feel like i have hope again, when hope was lost for a long time.
    i now use tools of mindful mediation, exercise, healthy nutrition, getting out of the house, not vegging in front of the tv. I take art classes at my community college to help take my mind off my pain and give me a reason to look forward to each new day.
    i share all of this in hopes it may lift your spirits and give you some inspiration as well.
    we are all a community, and all know this invisible disability is very difficult and challenging..