Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lumbar microdisectomy

As someone who has been coping with the pain from L5-S1 rupture the last 3 weeks by biting on a piece of leather and eating Dilaudid's like TicTacs, I am sitting here T minus 72 hours before I go under the knife. After reading through several of these posts, I'm feeling even more apprehensive today than I was before meeting the NS. I have not been able to work since 1/23 just waiting for STD benefits to kick in and watching all the crap on tv. I need to get this fixed and get back to work but this scares the bajesus out of me. The prolonged recovery tales posted here don't make me feel any more at ease either. My NS told me I would wake up pain free in my left leg and could resume working light duty in 2-3 weeks and with no restrictions after 6 weeks. Is he just blowing smoke up my painfully sore ass? Hopefully I'm just hearing the horror stories as people who have no issues typically don't promote it. (Usually just the complaints are shared, misery loves company right?) Hopefully it wont turn out to be as bad as some of these poor bastards make it out to be.

Bottoms Up! Lol
Carl Muehlmann

• Hello...I had an open lumbar discectomy L4 and L5, three weeks ago. I will offer you this advice...be prepared for changes in your day to day level of recovery after surgery. These boards helped me greatly after surgery because I had no idea what to expect. My pain changed from nerve pain to muscle spasm and now three weeks later, I am off most all narcotic pain meds.
    I have an aching feeling now in my lower back and leg after I go to bed. Very manageable, but unexpected. I also still have the numbness in my foot and thigh. It is improving, though. I would do it again, because I anticipate a full recovery. If you'd asked me two weeks ago, I wouldn't have been so sure. So, be prepared for pain post-op, but take heart it gets better.
    Private message me if you need a post-op buddy; I'd be glad to be your sounding board.