Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Please Help, I had sex after the surgery and i feel pain

ValkiersVValkiers Posts: 6
edited 02/09/2014 - 7:01 PM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hey everyone, I did something stupid, I had my surgery just 3-4 days ago, and I ve already had sex like 4-5 times since then, and SINCE i am a heavy smoker i could only reduce my smoking habits to 5-6 cigarettes instead of 2 packs, anw though it was strongly recommended that i DONT HAVE ANY SEXUAL RELATIONS within 15 days, we just couldnt keep our hands of each other, anw I am feeling a pressure in my spine, SLIGHT ! and numbness in my leg, but that was from before the sex, and i am really afraid that i did something very stupid and ive been up all night because of that anyone please can just tell me anything, all i read are about people who had the operation like a year ago and then they had sex, i guess no one was stupid enough to do it directly after :/ any help would be appreciated THANKS !

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832

Please take the time to read this post and refer to it when you have questions

I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and growing.
    Here are just some of the highlights that are available as tabs on the main Spine-Health menu bar

Spine-Health Main Menu Tabs

Conditions Detailed medical libraries of articles and videos that address almost every spinal condition.
    Treatment List of treatments to the conditions identified by Spine-Health.
    Wellness Section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.
    Spine-Health Forums These are the forums you will be using
    Find A Doctor This provides with a method to search for doctors in various locations.
    Doctor Advice Health Center The Resource tab, has many important features. You can browse various doctor advice on given spinal situations, you can browse clinical trials and view a comprehensive glossary..
    Health Videos Index to all Spine-Health Videos

As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here you can meet thousands of people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family[/u] who provide comfort and the advantages of a support system. You are now part of this family that is approximately 27,00 international members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts[u] do not violate any of the rules.[/u]

- All new members must read our FAQ in order to understand the layout of the forums, how to navigate through the forums, helpful terms, how to make effective threads and posts, plus a link index to many of the important medical forums and key medical articles on Spine-Health Forum FAQ

I am positive any member, new or old will find this Chroinc Pain - Step by Step thread very valuable.

Here are some links that all new members need to review to create effective threads and more

Read before you post
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

You can also find Spine-Health on these Social Networks

Facebook www.facebook.com/spinehealth
    Pinterest http://pinterest.com/spinehealth/boards/
    Twitter https://twitter.com/SpineHealth

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the private message facility to[u] contact any one of the Spine-Health Moderators

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • backache99backache99 Posts: 1,338
    edited 02/11/2014 - 12:19 PM
    Post edited by Sandi. Spine Health reserves the right to edit or delete any post that is in violation of the forum rules and guidelines. Please see the link below for more information.
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • SarahLindeauSarahLindeau Posts: 767
    edited 02/11/2014 - 12:23 PM
    I consider my fusion like it is: a $135,000.00 investment! A painful and gigantic risky investment that I would never knowingly jeopardize. Why would you not quit smoking, for the risks associated with that alone? And then you have sex so soon after your op? Not much sympathy from me here. I would splash some cold water on your face and ask you to take your recovery seriously! The last thing you want is to join the ranks of the poor people with failed fusions, if that is type of surgery you had. Trust me.
    Post edited by Sandi. Spine Health reserves the right to edit or delete any post that is in violation of the forum rules and guidelines. Please see the link below for more information.

2015: Thoracic protrusions C7-T1, T3-4, T6-8
    Dec'13: 360FusionL4-S1 w/bone graft
    2013: 3x2-level disc injections: 12mo surgery postponement
    Dec'12: DiscogramL4-S1
    Sep/Oct'12: Bi-lateral Rhizo AblationsL4- S1
  • ValkiersVValkiers Posts: 6
    edited 02/11/2014 - 12:29 PM
    I am too shy to admit to my doctor that i did it, and i had a disk problem, the joint was out of its place squeezing my nerve vessels, and giving me agonizing pain in my leg, some would describe it as stepping on a knife... and i didnt move at all during sex, I was very delicate, but the EDIT part is what hurt most ! So what should I do I had 3 reply but non was helpful, please I just want advise

Post edited by SANDI for inappropriate forum language. Foul language is not permitted on Spine Health. This includes masked, text version, asterisk/symbols used in place of letters.

• mjd210mmjd210 Posts: 92
    edited 02/11/2014 - 12:25 PM
    Anyone I have spoken with about back fusions is in too much pain and discomfort 3-4 days after having a major surgery.

alif l4-s1
  • I was 3 months post op before we tried and it did not go well for many reasons. I don't see how you could physically be intimate 3 or 4 days after surgery. What type of surgery did you have? Also, how old are you?

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • Please I am NOT joking...And I am 22 years old, 6 month ago, I was working two jobs, 14 hours a day, as a waiter , And i was going to gym at that time, it was only temporary, I worked it for 3 month on that system, one day at the gym I was doing a move with my legs, upper thigh weight lift. then i felt something like a pinch and the pain started in my upper left but cheek and started to spread down, after my MIR picture showed that I had A DISK problem, which is very common, not to my age, but it is a common surgery, anw I tried many medications, non of them were any help until the pain became unbearable I had to face it, I needed surgery, I did the surgery 6 days ago, doctors said it was successful, though my foot only on the bottom side feels very numb and cold all the time, and the wound where the incision was is hurting too.. doctor said its only normal, so okay, and he strongly recommended NO SEX OR SMOKING,.. But he never said why , or what could happen, and My GF had just flew in and its been long since we've been together, so yea we did something stupid, it didnt hurt first time, nor second nor 3rd, I WASNT MOVING AT ALL during it all, but when I had to ejaculate 4th time, a Pain went up my spine, in a very Strong manner as if someone is grabbing my lower spine and trying to pull on it, and the pain in my leg ( behind my knee ) started to appear... Here is MY condition, Now please can someone tell me what did I do ? and why I am feeling pain ?
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,832
    edited 02/11/2014 - 5:32 AM
    Any spinal surgery is not something that should be taken lightly.

Getting involved with any physical activity that soon after surgery is just asking for trouble, perhaps an additional surgery.
    I would talk to your doctor, regardless of how embarrassed you are. They need to know, so they can give you some advice.

If not, then just tough it out.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • You only get one spine and you have to take care of it your entire life. Until they come up with a cure-all or spinal transplant, you get one. And you're only 22. You have a LOT of life ahead of you. The damage you can do to your spine in your younger years is huge. My "little" disc bulge when I was 28 quickly progressed to a terrible situation. Knowing what I know now, I think I would have taken better care when lifting things and putting myself through some of the training I did.

You never said what operation you had. So none of us really know your situation. I'm presuming that you had a micro-discectomy or something similar, but even a less invasive micro-discectomy has a danger of reherniation.

But two things are clear:

1. Smokers heal slower and have other risks caused by smoking. Your capillaries physically carry less blood and oxygen to your wounds, resulting in delayed healing and other blood flow problems.

2. No matter what type of surgery you had, a proper surgeon would have laid out your physical restrictions after surgery and told you about a realistic recovery time.

Many people on this forum are in terrible pain. Some have had two or three back/neck surgeries. But we are all here to support one another, and for that reason, I will offer my apology that I chastised you about not taking your recovery seriously. I really am sorry to hear about your pain, and we are all only human. Ron pretty much summed it up: you need to contact your surgeon, or at the very least, his/her nurse to talk about your situation. They may need you to come in for a new MRI or X-ray.

Like I said, no one here knows anything about your situation except what you wrote, and to some of us, it's alarming to see someone not treat their body like the precious commodity it is, especially when recovering from surgery.

I hope the sex was worth it, though. ;) Now go call your surgeon.
    2015: Thoracic protrusions C7-T1, T3-4, T6-8
    Dec'13: 360FusionL4-S1 w/bone graft
    2013: 3x2-level disc injections: 12mo surgery postponement
    Dec'12: DiscogramL4-S1
    Sep/Oct'12: Bi-lateral Rhizo AblationsL4- S1
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 02/11/2014 - 12:40 PM
    I apologize for some of the responses you received early on.
    When your surgeon strongly recommended NOT to do something, in this case engage in sexual activity for at least 15 days, there is a medical reason for that, and he should not have had to explain it considering that he told you two things not to do , and you , are doing both.....and putting the outcome of your surgery at risk, and increasing the probability of a reduced outcome /chance of success or worse yet, another surgery may become necessary.
    You really do need to call your surgeon and discuss both activities with him, and see what he tells you. At this point, no matter how long it had been since you were together with your partner, no amount of sexual gratification is worth putting your spine's recovery at risk.
  • Thank you, all of you, Its nice to know there are other who care, It was a Lumbar Laminectomy, yes, i am an irresponsible guy, i know, anw, the pain turned out to be a Muscle spasm in my back muscles,, they cannot support my back anymore, thus they cannot hold me up which is why I keep feeling pain, i am fine, says my surgeon, sex or smoking did not help, but the spasm wasn't caused by it, nonetheless, I should have waited, I appreciate all the help, and if anyone was to pass through what I did make sure to buy the right strap to support your back, not to engage in any physical activity, and Take short walks with your back straight around the house, You can even hang on to someone in front of you as long and the blood flows and the muscles are nice and warm you shouldn't feel anymore pain... otherwise, like all what the others have said, CONTACT YOUR SURGEON, thanks again everyone, this was a helpful website !