Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Spinal Fusion and concert

I have severe back pain and the date for my L4-L5 spinal fusion may be moved as early as March 11th. The problem is that my favorite music group is coming on March 27th. I have seats and people to stand on either side of me, and I do not jump around or anything at concerts, simply take in the music. What are the chances that I will make that show?

Further info:
Have had 3 spine surgeries so can handle pain a bit
Will have vicodin / acetaminophen
22 years old

• I can only tell you that there's no way I would have been able to go to a concert two weeks after my fusion. Just walking from the bedroom to the living room was a feat. But I'm 62, so maybe you heal faster. Good luck!
    Synovial cyst removal in 2008. L4-L5 facet joint.
    Lumbar fusion at L4-L5 in December 2013. TLIF posterior entry
  • There is no way after my surgery would I be able to go to a concert. Toughest and longest recovery then I thought.
  • tran92ttran92 Posts: 183
    edited 03/03/2014 - 2:56 PM
    i had my lumbar fusion, and 18 days later i was sitting at a def leppard concert. It was iffy, but i really wanted to go to that show. (already had tix) and couldn't get the surgery date i was trying for. i won't say it was easy, pain pills, spares in my pocket, a back brace, pillow for my seat, a cane, and 2 friends to help me with whatever i needed. couldn't stand for it, or dance, but i got to enjoy hearing it. it is doable. just go prepared. bring something soft to sit on, make sure you have your brace on. (keeps people from getting to close too) and the cane in case they did, you can always hit people with it.

ETA: i was 39 when i had the surgery, and it was also my 4th, and 2nd fusion.

personally, i think looking forward to the show gives you a good incentive to get moving, and hopfully feeling better quickly.
    Microdisectomy / hemi-laminectomy 6/2010 and revision 10/2010
    Cervical fusion C4-5 and C5-6 9/2011
    Lumbar Fusion L5-S1 6/2012
  • Can you look into renting a wheel chair for the day. They should have handicapped accomodations at the venue. Good luck with your surgery.
    40 year old mom
    Tlif July 18
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    causing personal pain and discomfort.

That is way too soon after surgery. At that point, you will still be in surgical pain and may not have even starting with your recovery.

If I were you, I would bypass this one. No matter how favorite that group is to you, if you attend, you might subject yourself for more intense pain and will not even remember the night.

Save yourself for another concert.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • EMS GuyEEMS Guy Posts: 916
    edited 03/04/2014 - 2:30 AM
    First off, Tran92 great choice in music! Def Leppard rocks! However, there are some other considerations to take in besides just your seat. If it is a large crowd, you're probably going to get bumped around. Also, if you are anywhere near a speaker, the loudness may cause your back to hurt even worse. I saw Boston on their Third Stage tour right after I had surgery on my hand and was in a cast. The thumping from the bass was too much and hurt pretty bad.

I would ask if they could provide you a handicap location to watch, but overall, I'd probably pass on going.

Good luck!
    Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • tran92ttran92 Posts: 183
    edited 03/04/2014 - 7:23 AM
    maybe its the location for where i went. outdoor concert venue, and seats far away from the stage. i like to sit under an overhang at Jones Beach, so i get tix up near the back of the place. its not as crowded where i get seats. plus i don't remember any vibrations from the bass. maybe i'm too far away from the stage. or because its open air? i had aisle seats, so i i had to get up, i could. elevator to get to the upper level. and handicapped parking. someone else drove. it actually worked out well, and while i was still in pain, at least i got to enjoy the evening ,and the concert i was waiting 2 years to see. i also had friends going, and if i really wasn't up to it, one of them would have found a person to take my ticket.
    Microdisectomy / hemi-laminectomy 6/2010 and revision 10/2010
    Cervical fusion C4-5 and C5-6 9/2011
    Lumbar Fusion L5-S1 6/2012
  • steeler-guyssteeler-guy Posts: 4
    edited 03/05/2014 - 4:55 PM
    I've had 3 back surgeries and one was only a laminectomy and there is no way that I would have been up to go to that concert ( Definately agree with good taste in bands) after any of those surgeries. If someone bumps into you and you fall you could be right back under the knife. You will not want that option to happen when you get to the 2-3 week point. Also I doubt your surgeon would allow it (or maybe I should say recommend it). You will understand what I mean during your 1st week of recovery.
    4 level fusion lower back
    2 level cervical fusion
    Left knee replacement