Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Back pain

My name is Keith. I realize many people on here are in extreme pain. I am one of
Those people. I have had six back operations over the last seven years. I have had
Two "lamies", a lower lumbar fusion and finally had a pain stimulator implanted. I still
Have chronic pain in my back and leg. I have taken prescriptions, tried acupuncture and
Exercised to help my situation with no luck. I have spent every penny that I have and the
Worst part is that I'm a single father of a sixteen year old son. I have nothing left to give
Him emotionally and financially. I have hit rock bottom. I would try any clinical trial or
Study to help with the pain. Financially I'm broke. I've spent everything on surgeries,
Prescriptions and treatment. I need help! I know many people read this and I assure
You my story is real. Can anyone help?

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    Welcome to Spine-Health and how to get started here

You should use the above message and links as a reference guide on how to get the most from this site.

One thing we need is details. You mentioned some high level events during your life, but we need details here in order to attempt to provide any feedback.

Right now, I dont know if you are looking for help with your son, your medical condition, your emotional state of mind, etc

So, for starters, I would read the forum rules and FAQ. That will help you develop threads that will be responded to.
    Until then, please provide us with the information that we normally ask for. The details. Without details, no one here can offer any suggestions. The only thing you might hear is "Oh I am sorry for your pain" Yes, that is true, but that wont help matters.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I apologize. I'll try again. My first surgery was a lamonectomy in 2007 for back and
    Leg pain. The surgery was at L4 and L5. The pain is in my left leg. I had the same thing
    Done in 2009 because I had more pain. I had a fusion done in 2010 at the same level.
    In 2011 because I had more pain they implanted a pain stimulator. I developed a major
    Infection and was hospitalized for two weeks. The re implanted in 2012. I still have
    Tremendous leg pain. I don't know where to turn. I would try anything just to improve
    My situation.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    List of questions

• - Pain Stimulator -? Was that a Spinal Cord simulator?? or a Pain Bag Implant??
      - What medications have you been on, dosage, etc.. what are you current medications
      - What treatments have you had/? What treatments are you going through now?
      - What was the infection, how was it cleared up
      - What are you doctor recommendations for both conservative and aggressive treatments
    As you become more familiar with this site, you will understand the need to having the answers to these questions.
    Its almost like trying to solve a mystery. The more information that we have, the easier it should be to solve the problem, without information, we really cant provide that much valid help.

You indicate that you would do anything to just improve, but from my previous response, what situation? Are you talking about your pain? your leg? the implants?, etc

And always remember, no one on this site is a medical professional. What we provide in our responses is based on our personal experiences and/or research, but should never be taken as pure and true medical facts. That can only come form your doctors.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Keithh45KKeithh45 Posts: 4
    edited 03/04/2014 - 1:12 AM
    I have a dorsal column pain stimulator.
    It became infected when they put it in two years ago
    Which is when I spent two weeks in the hospital.
    I take Lyrica, naproxen and Vicodin as needed. I've been
    Taking thes meds for six years now. I was taking more
    Pain meds but cut back because I did not like the affects
    They were having on me .
    I am going in next week to have the battery pack replace
    And relocated. Also they are going to take the hardware from
    The fusion on my left side out. I have pain in my left leg and foot
    In the form of a burn and numbness for the last six years. They
    Say the fusion has healed and think the hardware may be irritating
    A nerve on that side.
  • linalex64llinalex64 Posts: 3
    edited 03/16/2014 - 8:55 PM
    Sue the xxx drs for performing that many surgeries on you. Surgery and drugs are temporary fixes. I have been going to therapy for years for back pain and deteriation.I.ve been a nurse for years..I hardly ever see really good results until recently with new laser surgery. Exercise and natural health remedies

Post edited to remove inappropriate language...Liz spine-health moderator.. Please read the Forum rules

Linda S Alexander
  • Sorry to hear you've been through all this, Keith. It must be especially hard with a teenage son. It sounds like you didn't like the side-effects you had when you were on stronger medication and made a decision to be more minimalistic with your meds. Is that right? I think that perhaps this minimalism is a luxury you cannot afford. If you are still in severe pain, your pain is not being adequately treated. I'm guessing you fear going back on stronger meds will result in those same side-effects you had before. That fear is possibly somewhat unfounded.

Many people have at one time or another had a med affect them in a way they didn't like. That is extremely common. But many of these people, working with a good PM doc, through trial and error, have found a medicine or combination of medicines that provides adequate pain relief with tolerable or no side-effects. It can take a while to work out what is going to be right for you, but it is worth it in the end and it may be your only option.

If you have exhausted all options re: oral pain meds, the pain pump is fantastic for a lot of people. Because the med is released into your spinal fluid, less is needed, it is more effective and has less side-effects. Best of luck, Keith. I really do hope you find some relief :)
  • The first suggestion I would make would be to return to the doctor that implanted the stimulator and contact the company representative to come and make some adjustments to your unit.......there are thousands of combinations or stimulation patterns and pulse widths that they can program into the unit to give you better overall pain control.......Since your complaint is one of neuropathic type pain, seems to me that that is the best option for now......
    Another option would be to try a neuropathic pain medication- such as Lyrica, or Cymbalta, or gabapentin to see if there is any additonal benefit to using one of those to ease some of the pain.
    The last option that I would suggest, is coming up with a plan to use as many over the counter, and non traditional modalities to ease some of the pain as you can ........each tiny bit of pain relief that you get, combined with others adds up over the long haul.