Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Just read this was approved & will be avaliable next month. I wonder if any dr will ever even prescribe it, when we can't even get a less strong drug without jumping through major hoops. If anyone gets this, please post. I'd be interested to hear if it works for you, as well as why your doc prescribed it
We can't always control the cards we are dealt in life, but we can control how we play the hand

• Hello. I have 2 ruptured discs C4-5 & C5-6. I have to work and have to take medicine just to put a damper on this insanely horrific pain. I was referred to pain management in suburban Illinois. I cannot function on strong pain meds and was taking Norco 10/325 around the clock from primary physician. My pain management doctor switched me to Zohydro 20mg twice a day, I didn't even ask for it. It is extremely effective, I'm taking 20mg less hydrocodone pet day now with the same relief. My usual 24 hour Walgreens had it in stock, and that was last week. I asked if I'd have to bring the script in early so they could order every month, they said they stock all strengths and have been getting 3-4 scripts per day of all strengths and the computer will automatically order. Doc says pain will remain, and due to my job fusion is out of the question, so I guess I'll be taking this for a while. I just joined this board so I can hear from others with same condition
  • I heard it wouldn't be on the market until April. Its pretty conterversail because I believe that it doesn't have the coating to help prevent it from getting crushed.

I'm suprised too, that your pm went from Norco to Zohydro, from what I know that like going from the bottom on the pain med scale to the high end, bypassing the middle.

At any rate, I'm glad you found something that helps you!
    We can't always control the cards we are dealt in life, but we can control how we play the hand
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,343
    edited 03/27/2014 - 6:11 AM
    is simply an extended release version of hydrocodone.. It is only to be used when the short acting form of hydrocodone no longer is as effective in duration or pain relief properties according to the manufacturer information that I read on it. The medication contained in hydrocodone, vicoden, norco are all the very same active ingredient - hydrocodone.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,862
    Since it is basically an extended release of hydrocodone, any doctor that does not prescribe that for their patient, will also probably not prescribe zohydro.

So, for some here that were looking this might not offer anything.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • either adding an abuse deterrant to it, much like Oxycontin or banning it altogether, which may be why it is available now in some areas instead of the release of April that I was reading....the pharmaceutical companies trying to get it out on the marketplace before any new action can be taken regarding it....
    I have mixed feelings about it, I like that there is finally an extended release medication at the lower end of the spectrum but am concerned about the potential for abuse, just like for hydrocodone in the IR form.....we don't need another medication that winds up being another disaster for the abuse propoganda
  • I'm going to be cynical here; if people don't abuse Zohydro, they will abuse something else. In KY prescription pain killers nearly take an act of Congress to get from any physician. So what did the drug abusers do...went straight to heroin. It's like the Yeng and Yang. We are NEVER going to fix the illegal drug trade until politicians and pharmaceutical companies decide that money isn't the end all, be all of existing. Pharmaceutical companies will keep making new drugs, politician will make a ton of money from the pharmaceutical companies (PAC money) and they will continue business as usual.

You want to see how to deal with drug abusers, go to Saudi Arabia. Don't see any rehab clinics there do you? Why...they put drug abusers to death. Is that over the top; probably, but you don't see them spending billions of dollars a year on clinics, treatment, incarceration. The take away point here is we have to get strict with punishment. Right now drug use criminals laugh at the sentences they get. Our esteemed President wants to reduce sentences for drug users. So what do you think will happen once sentences are reduced???

Sorry for the rant but the writing is on the wall.

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
    Though, I wouldn't take to the Saudi's extreme.

Punishment for drug abusers, either the dealer or the users need to be harsher and firm. To me, both the dealer and the user needs to be treated the same.

If you stop the abuse of drugs by patients, then eventually that would dry up the need for the dealers to provide those drugs.

At that point, it would be the illegal drugs that need to be focused on.

This my own personal belief
  • speaking of negative publicity, this weekend on the national geographic channel they have had programs dealing with drugs. i believe sunday was prescription drug day and you guessed it oxycontin was the bad guy. we will never get away from the negative press so what do we do? we take our meds the way that we are supposed to and lie low. last fall i wrote my senator from california about pain meds and chronic pain and maybe some of you remember i got a letter back stating that that month was chronic pain awareness month. of course there was nothing in the media at all. no newspapers or tv or magazines, nothing. so what is the use of national chronic pain awareness when there is no awareness. i believe i still have the letter and i posted a copy of it on this site. so no positive awareness but still a lot of negative awareness. now this new drug will be a new drug in a long line of evil drugs. i already read about it on some news web sites. we can't win for trying with pain meds.
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • Today on Fb I read an absolutely heartbreaking from a mother who lost her son to an overdose of heroin mixed with fentanayl. She wanted to reach out to other parents who may not have a clue their child might be using drugs, because she & her family had no idea. It sounds hard to believe there were no signs, & that was my first thought too. But if you read her detailed letter you will realize that this kid was really good at hiding his problem. It gave me a lot of things to think about regarding kids & drug use.

Anyway, my point to this post is that the police in this city (a wealthy area in New Jersey) actually investigate ever od case. They found the dealer who was actually a neighbor. Not only did they arrest him for all the drugs they found (heroin, fentanyl, oxy, pot, etc) they are charging him with the murder of this kid!

I'm sure some of you have heard of this, but I haven't. I live in a big city in Ca that has lost about 1/3 of their police officers. There is no way they have time to investigate every od case.

I agree this problem will never be stopped. But maybe, just maybe, if dealers started getting charged with murder, it might make a few stop & think. At least the ones convicted would be off the streets
  • I'm not sure harsher penalties are the answer. The only social policy that has had a positive impact in the past few decades has been decriminalization. Portugal for example, where after they made this change less people were using drugs. America seems to have much worse troubles with drugs than other comparable nations, despite its stricter laws, maybe even because of its stricter laws. It is becoming clear that prohibition isn't the answer.

away from the original subject, but in a very good way.

Drug Abuse, Drug Deaths, Drug Overdose, Drug Dealers and how this impacts everyone is a topic that I believe deserves a thread of its own.

I will start the thread... The only thing I will ask of everyone, is to keep politics and religion out of the threads.
    I will create a thread called: Impact of Drugs
  • I bet that board will see a lot of action!

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2