Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

best place to live if u have chronnic pain?

I'm thinking about relocating and I want to know the best cities and states to live for the best chronic pain treatment?
W. Logan

• I am sure there are good doctors in every state. You just have to find them. I would think another factor you should be looking at is the weather. Some people have more pain when it's cold. For me the humidity is worse then cold temp. As far finding a state that has more lacks laws on prescribing opiate medication you need to consider that almost every state has set (or trying to) laws to stop doctor shopping and abuse of medication. I know the worse place now is to go to is FL. While you may find a doctors prescribe your pain medication it is almost impossible to find a pharmacy that will fill it. It is not unusual to hear that a chronic pain patient may have to go to 20 pharmacy's to get there medications filled. Getting your pain managed is very important however you need to move to a place that appeals to you and your interests and in your life and finances. The one site that has helped me in meeting others in my area is going to the web site for meet-up groups. No matter where you live you will find groups and people who enjoy the same things you do. For example seeing local museums, camping, fishing ect.
  • Perhaps near one of the big research universities that has a hospital/outpatient consultancy. You should also take into account your lifestyle. Having places you will enjoy going close by and easy to get to is important. You probably don't want to be driving all the time. Living near a gym or public pool could be helpful if you are able to utilize them too.
  • any place in hawaii. just because. not because there are hospitals and clinics there, it is warm beautiful and the surf is up. best place i can think of for chronic pain
    the dude
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • Yes there are issues on getting narcotics and the laws are similar i terms of how they document prescriptions , doctors and pharmacies. I live in Florida and only had trouble filling my scripts one time. The pharmacy was different location than my normal Walgreens and the pharmacist said they didn't have the quantity. I think the real reason was he didn't want to do all the paperwork for someone who was not a normal customer. In addition Florida will have a medical marijuana law on the ballot in November and the polls show 89% of those polls were in favor.
  • thoracic spine painthoracic spine pain Posts: 566
    edited 03/20/2014 - 12:59 PM
    I'm in Australia and moved to the Gold Coast. There were many reasons. Firstly I wanted to get away and try and start again in a place I loved. The Gold Coast has the best climate in Australia I think. It has beautiful beaches where you can swim all year round. The people are cosmopolitan, a lot of people have lived all over the world. It has one of the best new teaching hospitals in this country.

I think Australia is the most beautiful country in the world and I've been overseas a lot except the US. The US seems to be very vast and beautiful as well. I was talking to the lady next door and she said she lives in the States. She love it and when I asked her if she thought 'bout coming back here she said no - she felt her home is the US. I guess it's where you feel most at home. Australia wins hands down for me. We have snow and we have the tropics, the desert and the ocean. The most amazing land formations. It is so vast it nearly has every climate in the world. I love Tasmania too but it's too cold. I must admit if I had enough money I'd live in Sydney but that used to have the most expensive real estate in the world. Don't know how it ranks now.

As the gold coast is a famous tourist destination both overseas and within Australia - Angelina Jollie is here at the moment and you see celebrities walking down the street all the time. My kids talked to Sylvester Stallone when they saw him in Surfers Paradise and he gave them a lot of time and was lovely to them. Think celebreties come here cause most Australians don't hassle them and there is a movie studio on the coast. I think it's so much better than Monte Carlo.

They are turning the Art gallery which has an enormous park into a cultural precinct. You can go whale watching, lots of boating, fishing and islands to go to. Really clean water and beaches as well. It has great food and coffee shops and the best shopping. It's not a big city but it still has a couple of Uni's and everything a big city has without the distances. Australia is the most spread out country in the world. So different from the UK.

Don't know whether it's because it has people on holidays who are relaxed, or the beautiful beaches - better than any I have seen anywhere in the world - lots of sand - and people who are in a higher income bracket so it's not dangerous to go out alone at night. People seem much more relaxed here and the shop attendants don't think they are doing you a massive favour if you ask them for help. Parks, gardens, movies, an international airport, lots of theme parks like movie world, sea world and a zillion others up the coast a bit - not that I can go to them, if friends come to stay there is plenty to do no matter what their interests.

It has a beautiful sub tropical hinterland, rainforest, waterfalls and mountains behind it within an easy drive. Great bushwalking tracks but we don't have the variety of wildlife you have in the States. Most of our wildlife is fairly unique to Australia. We do have some introduced species though like foxes that kill our wildlife. No bears for one. No rattlesnakes but have some of the most dangerous snakes in the world. If you stay away from them they leave you alone ad are mostly in the country areas. Must admit I loved Yogi and Boo boo when I was a child.

Lots of people say they don't like the Coast 'cause it has a glitter strip but it's different when you live here.

My family are closer. Haven't tried the Drs yet as I still have to go to Brisbane for physio so am still using the same Dr. My family is here. I know the place back to front as I used to live here - it has great memories for me.

So there were lots of reasons for me to leave Brisbane when I stopped working - Brisbane has no beaches and I figure if you are living in a sub tropical climate may as well be near the beach. Salt water seems to help my wellbeing.

The only thing I didn't take into account really was my bedroom. With spine stuff sometimes I have to stay in bed so wish I had taken that into account more than I did. In Brisvegas my bedroom had double doors opening onto a balcony then straight into the garden. So if I was in pain I could look out into the garden and birds used to fly into my bedroom, land on my bed and ask for something to eat. So I had to get up and get something for them.

This place has a lot of bedrooms so am sleeping in the one where I can see trees.

So for me it was safety, climate, beautiful scenery, easygoing people, ability to study if I want, a great new hospital and the feeling of freedom it gives you to walk along the beach.

Normally I make a list of the pros and cons - the south coast has more pros than cons. It is such an individual decision think you have to find a place where you think you'll be happy.

Good luck - it's a nightmare packing and unpacking so try and get some help. Hope you enjoy the new place as they say a change is as good as a holiday.

By the way just remember to check if the company you use has removal insurance - the company I used was very expensive so I assumed they had insurance. They broke a lot of stuff including antique china and porcelain which I will never be able to replace, and when i called they said they didn't have any insurance. So it really pays to take out insurance which I thought they had as they didn't tell me.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,846
    Exactly where you live today!

You can not allow chronic pain to dictate your life. You will be in chronic pain in CT as well as you would be in CA. The climate may have some bearing on everything, an adjustment here or there but still the bottom line is the same.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • EnglishGirlEEnglishGirl Posts: 1,825
    edited 03/18/2014 - 4:11 PM
    It's very hard to live 5,000 miles away from my family & friends. Particularly with a young family, it's very hard living without a support system. Something worth remembering when you plan to make a move.
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
    I think that the most difficult thing that you have to deal with is being so far away from your family and friends.
    Without a support system that you have known for years, its so difficult.
    As what English Girl just stated, for those out there think about moving away, think about your support system.
    It can make a big difference
  • You are so right. I'm an Irish girl living in Australia and it's pretty tough leaving family behind. Thank God for Skype as I get to chat with my parents every week. I moved to give my children better opportunities and after five years I can say that without a doubt it was the best decision for us.
    Warm weather certainly helps the aches and pains but sometimes the pain in you heart and the lump in your throat thinking about family and friends, hurt the most. At least I feel I have a spiney family here for support whenever I have fears or am feeling lonesome. You're not alone.
    Ron, you're right about the most perfect place to live is where you are right now.You choose your destiny and sometimes you need to take a leap of faith. Sometimes I can't believe that I've moved to the other side of the world, bad back and all!
    DDD. Married,Mum of 2, Age 45: 2007 & 2008 L5/S1 Discectomy
    April 2013 L5/S1 Anterior Fusion
    & L4/L5 Artificial Disc Replacement
  • I'm in Kansas & is been tough to find anyone that will help me here. I'm from Ohio but tranplanted to Phoenix for 6 yrs, honestly, the low humidity & heat helped tons! There several places around there that are awesome at treating back issues.

Englishgirl...I know first hand what you mean ♡
  • hawaii or san diego, my 2nd favorite place next to hawaii. my wife is from there. warm, clean, beautiful with palm trees, sea world and the san diego zoo. anything in hawaii, beach, beach, surfing, surfing, weather, surfing. oh by the way did i mention surfing? speaking of surfing, i bet no one knows who jeff spicholi is? if you do, you get an attta-boy in my book.
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • Hey! You know, we left this England place 'cause it was bogus; so if we don't get some cool rules ourselves - pronto - we'll just be bogus too!

Gnarly ;-)

Do I get a gold star Mr Teacher Dude?

Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • that sounds like spacholi speak to me dudette. mr hand was my idol. i am so much like him when i teach. i don't know about the pizzas but i would have done the same thing. i have seniors this year and getting them to graduate is a major problem. they all have senioritis. in fact they had senioritis when they were freshmen.
  • Sounds like fast times at ridgemont high to me!
    alif l4-s1
  • Ahhh the wisdom of youth..not! I don't know how you do it dude. The kids are lucky to have you ;-)

"All I need are some Tasty waves, a cool buzz and I'm fine" ...you just need to insert 'a high school diploma' & they'll be cool!
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • tasty waves buds and the stones and hang with mick
    the dude
  • ChronichelperCChronichelper Posts: 2
    edited 03/31/2014 - 8:54 PM
    I live in the very u friendly state of florida where chronic pain is a way of life now. Quality of life had been extremely hard for the past few years. I have had a lot of trouble getting my medications filled last 3 months. I am jot a dr shopper in fact been under same care for 12 years. Have had 4 back surgeries recstruvtive leg and knee surgeries. The law gas changed so much here that they feel a person my size can not receive vid a certain amount if medication. No matter the fact that I have been on narcotics.

Post edited to remove inappropriate comment by Liz The spine-health moderator team.

• My understanding is they have very strict immigration laws and it is very difficult to move there from the U.S.. I agree with Sydney, one of my favorite cities, love the botanical gardens there.
    I agree with the dude on both San Diego and Hawaii, lived both places while in the Navy, they both have something else in common besides great weather, EXPENSIVE, you need a lot of money to Live in either place otherwise you just exist as you can't afford to do anything or go anywhere.
    laminectomy c4/c5 2008, ACDF c4-c7 Jan 20 2014 sched
  • philnoirphilnoir Posts: 52
    edited 04/02/2014 - 8:20 PM
    Colorado, and specifically, the Denver Metro area is a good place to find support for living in pain.

We have innovative pain clinic , which is also a teaching hospital . The med school has an interventional pain fellowship program and quite a few of these trained pain doctors have remained in the area and have privileges at our largest hospitals, . We also have some very good pain psychologists living in the area.

Our 300 days of sunshine and low humidity also make life a little more comfortable.

Post edited to remove name of specific hospitals. by Liz The Spine-Health Moderator Team

• Hello, I currently live in RI, but am from FL originally. I have debilitating chronic pain, that seems to get worse in humidity and cold. I spent a week in Hawaii and was pain-free for the most part. Anyone recommend similar climates to Hawaii or have an idea why the pain was better? While in Hawaii, I was under a lot of general stress, so the pain should have been bad. Directly after Hawaii, I went to Japan and Cambodia, and the pain started coming back, which is why I'm pretty sure that Hawaii had something different that agreed with me. Thanks in advance!
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• PlumbTuckeredOutPlumbTuckeredOut Philadelphia, PAPosts: 325
    I'm originally from Rhode Island. I have to say that while there are many teaching hospitals and the closeness to Boston and the great hospitals there, RI didn't cut it for my pain! From Rhode Island I moved to Maine. I LIKE cold! Heat, sweat, humidity and I feel anxious and unable to breathe so I thought Maine. Maine had good medical benefits BUT no doctors! I often had to drive for hours to get to an appointment and then stay over because of the dangers of driving in moose country in the dark winters! I had one back surgery in Maine- a necessity and I did "okay". No place to go for physical therapy though!

For the last 6 years I've been living in Philly and I didn't want to move here! It was on a dare and it's been awesome! Because of pain and pain meds I cannot drive but public transportation here is fantastic! I live in what is called "Center City" right by several fantastic teaching hospitals. If I toss a stone I'll hit a doctor! There is a very good Pain Clinic- actually several but I like one. There are also all kinds of things I can do on a tight budget, free city-wide events, great parks, museums, schools.

But, as one of the moderators said, don't move any place hoping pain will be better. There is no geographical cure for the world's ills. I think I am incredibly fortunate but there are others, I even hear them in the pain clinic I use, who complain about the doctors, the medications, the limitations. Remember, where ever you go, there you are. It's always up to you to make the very best of the situation you find yourself in. Honestly, I've been in some nasty pain for the last week due to working too hard but I'm good. I have other things helping me keep from stressing about the pain. And yes, this forum is definitely one of them!

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by...... (Robert Frost)
    I still don't know if I should have taken the one that said, "Caution! Dead End" (Me)
  • Hello looking to relocate because of this great weather we have here in CT. ! When season changes so does the pain ! Looking to move to Fla. where it seems when I did visit it I was in so less pain don't know if because my mind was not thinking about the pain I was in because I was away from here or it truly was the climate ! Doctors are Doctors no matter where you go so that's not a issue ! I do have a great pain mag. doc thou first one I ever found that is down to earth yea would never know he was one if you met him out side of pain center which means soooooooooooo much when your in pain ! He has a great bed side manner about him and your not just a $ sign ! He takes his time with you and shows real concern tats the only draw back if I move ! Well when I move I should say ! Have to decide by weds 12/9/15 if to go thru implant for tens unit trail sucked machine worked only half the time so its hard to judge if its worth it ! And I will have to get it changed in 7 years around they say so hopefully where I go they can do it or will do it or its back up here to Ct. to have it replaced !
  • edited 12/15/2015 - 5:50 AM
    I want to move to Florida so bad as well! Currently my wife and I live in Ohio and even letting the dog outside can flare up my pain when I feel the cold. Anyone have any tips for convincing spouse/partner to move. My wife knows how much the cold hurts my neck but yet she is still refusing to move because of her family and a house we have renovated. I'm worried that if we don't move in 1-2 years, we will be stuck in Ohio. I want to be able to move while I'm young and not tied down with a crazy mortgage and kids (my wife and I have neither of those 2 problems).
  • chop my leg offcchop my leg off British ColumbiaPosts: 56
    Wcb in BC, Canada owns me .  Cross the border and Wcb drops you.  :(    Now I need permission at 50 yrs old to even go on a 7 day holiday.  Ugh.   And to think if I hadn't read the worksafebc rehabilitation and claims Manuel volume 2, I would never of known and they would have stopped my wage loss and medical benefits.
    L5S1..2 microdisectomies in 30 days maybe one more on the agenda. 4 bulged discs and one of them loves my spinal canal X2 :/ and a compression fracture . And now scar tissue wrapped around the nerve causing horrible neuropathy all over again.   VICIOUS CIRCLE :(
  • (If you're in the United States). According to my doctor and my personal experience, humidity is one of the worst environments for chronic pain, and places at high altitudes are the best (because there's less barometric pressure). But of course this depends on the individual and their condition. The cold bothers many people with chronic pain, but I personally do much better in the cold; unfortunately I live in FL right now, which makes things worse for me. As for the high altitudes, there's less barometric pressure, which means less pressure on the joints and nerves, which is why I feel better, but high altitudes are not for everyone. 
    As for medication, I can't speak in regard to other states, but I as well as many people on this forum have had an abundance of problems filling our medications in FL. 
  • gfishggfish Pittsburgh PAPosts: 158
    I would go south. I am done with the snow. Any more i see my home as a cave. Either I would say lets wait for a warmer day or its to cold to go out. So I and putt around the house doing stuff. Be nice to sit outside, Walk. If I didnt have kids in college. I would be gone in a heart beat. Not saying its better. Remember the grass is not always greener. But I do like the hot summers. I good with the 85-90 degrees.
    Greg fisher
    I'm from Long Island, NY , but have been living in Connecticut (by Candlewood Lake) for the past 40 years (but I am still a New Yorker)  . Our dream would be to have a penthouse in New York City and a house in Sag Harbor, Long Island...

I love the 4 seasons and really look forward to each season.  Though, I am not bothered by cold, rain, snow, etc... what effects me IS the change of each season.  For about the first week in the change of seasons, I do have some flareups.

BUT, we could see ourselves becoming sort of snow birds.  I love the Hilton Head SC and Siesta Key, FL....
    Perhaps living there a month or two..... (especially after the snow amounts we had the past two or three years)

Plus, a HUGE factor is where my children live.   We always want to be close.  My son lives in NYC and my daughter about 15 miles away.