Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Bladder spasms anyone?

Does anyone else have bladder and/or rectal spasms with neck problems? My neck is "a mess" according to my chiropractor, and I've seen a neurosurgeon. I've had brain, cervical, thoracic and lumbar MRIs because of my "nonspecific" symptoms. All were mostly normal, except for cervical which showed herniations with mild canal stenosis and severe foraminal stenosis. My NS ordered PT, which helped some. Something about my 6th visit was traumatic. My pain level increased a lot. The numbness and tingling in my left arm went from bad to worse and all of a sudden I had horrible bladder spasms. They would nearly have me bent over in pain. It almost felt like really bad menstrual cramps, except I had a hysterectomy 2 years ago. I have them about 2-3 times a week. I've seen a urologist, had a cystoscope, and all was normal. I have had occasional rectal pain (9/10?) for 20 or more years, so bad sometimes that I almost pass out. Anyone else had anything similar?

• While we are not Drs bladder and rectal issues relating to the neck are not something to mess around with.. If it is coming from your neck I would have a second opinion and quickly.
  • I just had acdf surgery on my c6 - c7, and I wouldn't say I has spasms or cramps but I did have bladder issues, I had sudden urgency, when I felt like I had to go it was immediate, I wasn't able to hold it for any amount of time. I had lost of leg and feet issues though, I had tingling and burning in my feet and cramps something fierce, I would get charlie horses all the time. I never told the surgeon about my bladder issues though I just always knew where the bathroom was. When I woke up from surgery all that was gone, I was freaking out at first because I thought when I had to pee I was going to have to move fast and then I was like oh, I can wait a little bit. I would think in my opinion that it might have something to do with it. If they are that bad I would definately tell your surgeon about it, bladder problems aren't anything to mess around with.
  • backache99backache99 Posts: 1,338
    edited 04/16/2014 - 6:26 AM
    the problems only started AFTER the ALIF I knew it would as the abdomen is opened for the ALIF bowels don't like to be handled and as for bladder I now need an operation !! nasty stuff spinal operations ..will PM you will details if you want me too ?? I leave it with you as I don't want to impart information that you may not wish to hear !
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • are something you NEED to discuss with your surgeon, ASAP.....while those symptoms are more common with Cauda Equina Injuries, they can occur with problems further up in the spine because the level that is compromised whether it is due to stenosis in the canal or herniations or bone overgrowth, can and will effect every level below the area of injury.......