Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How bad is this going to get

Somerset JohnSSomerset John Posts: 21
edited 04/13/2014 - 8:45 AM in Chronic Pain
No-one seems able to give me any idea. When I compare how disabled I am today with how I was a year ago it scares the whatsit out of me. I am already obliged to use a walker around the house and a powerchair when I go out. Walking only a couple of steps is so very painful. I am in severe pain when I wake, which is often and pain when get up to start the new day most of which is spent sitting or lying down. I am on 3000 mg Gabapentin backed up with Tramadol but the benefit is limited
I am so ****** off it is untrue. I can do hardly anything which requires standing, bending and lifting any thing at all is out of the question.
I know I am old in years compared with some of you but I could have another 15 to go and that too scares me.
Sorry to be such a moaner, and that's another thing, that is not really me. I used to pride myself on my positive attitude and that wasn't that long ago.
Do I feel better for subjecting you all to my rant--not really, no.
John

Post edited by Sandi- the use of foul, obscene or vulgar language is NOT permitted on Spine Health.
http://www.spine-health.com/forum/announcements/spine-health-announcements/forum-etiquette-language-it-offensive-or-not

advertisement

Comments

• John,
    Let me apologize first for not knowing exactly what is wrong with you. I see you have been a member here for 3 months and have probably told your story. I also take Tramadol and Gabapentin. Neither one is good for breakthrough pain, the pain you are describing. I take both to keep me on an even keel but when the pain devil hits me, I take stronger meds that calm it down.

Dick
    Emergency surgery in March of 2006 for spinal infection of L 2 and L 3. During surgery, discovered I had Cauda Equina Syndrome. Spine became unstable after surgery and had 360 fusion with 10 pedicle screws, plates and rods in April of 2007.
  • I am 47 {almost 48} and I have been battling with intractable pain for the last ten years {17 in total}} I am in the same position as yourself .regarding pain and what I can and can't do ..it all went bad for me following operation number two back in 2007 a bad L4/L5/S1 laminectomy/discectomy .then just as I thought it could not get any worse ....a fusion in 2011 ALIF nasty !! its been 2 years of pure hell ..I too wonder what next ?? I am on stronger pain killers they help but after ten years on them I have a very high tolerance to them ..but life without them is not an option ....and that scares me ..I am on oxycontin and oxynorm for BT pain maybe your doctor can review your pain meds ??
    good luck
    tony{UK}
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • sandisandi Posts: 6,302
    edited 04/13/2014 - 8:48 AM
    There are many other options to treat the ongoing pain that you are having, aside from tramadol, that might be far more effective, as well as possibly adding some muscle relaxers that might prove beneficial. Do you see a pain management doctor? If not, it would be wise to seek one out to discuss what other options are available to treat your pain.
    I'm sorry that you are having such a hard time right now.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,045
    edited 04/14/2014 - 7:48 AM
    Please to allow us to help you, give us more details about your condition.

• - When did it start? How?
      - What doctors did you start to see?
      - What were the initial actions by your doctor?
      - What diagnostic tests have you had? What are their results?
      - What conservative treatments have you had?
      - What medications are you on?
      - Have you had any surgery? If so, where/want and how long ago?
      - What are you doctors telling you now?
      - Do you have some sort of approved exercise or stretching program?
    The more we know the easier it is for us to provide input.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
advertisement