Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Spine Fusion L4 L5 S1

Hi everyone I am new to the group and I go in 04/24/14 for my second back surgery. The first one was in 2012 and not even 6 months later I was rear ended and lost feeling from the waist down. I am only 31 and also have spinal degenerative disease plus scoliosis. I am very scared of what to expect from this surgery since the first one was a lumbar microdiscectomy of L4&L5. I healed very well and was able to live again. Since my accident I have more damage done and almost no feeling in my left leg except when the shooting pain flies down it. I can not sit longer then 10-15 mins with out horrible pain and end up in tears. Even laying down can be a challenge (like it is right now to much pain). I was hoping for some advice on how to handle the surgery and what I might feel like.
Thanks for reading I hope to hear back some advice :-)

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • I just had the surgery on the 9th of April. Its rough! my best advise is to stay positive and to stay on top of your pain meds. Don't let the pain set in then try playing catchup with the pain.
    alif l4-s1
  • How long were you in the hospital? With having 4 kids and my husband who is a teacher our family is coming together and has hired a nursing group to be with me during the days because with my luck I will fall or do a no no the surgeon told me not to plus I forget to take my meds so it is play catch up game.
  • I was admitted to the hospital on a Wednesday morning and discharged Saturday early afternoon. Remember everyone is different. Most doctors will not let you leave until you have a bowel movement, eating solids, keeping it down, and able to get out of bed and walk some stairs on your own.

The one thing I wish I had done different was not to have my three and a half year old come see me at the hospital. I think it was a bit overwhelming for her to see the IV, monitors, and other commotion going on. She didn't cry but I could tell she was very upset in the inside to see me like that.

Good luck if you have any other questions please feel free to ask
    alif l4-s1
  • i had the same problem due to my wife not letting my son into the hospital to see me after my first fusion. she said i looked like crap and did not want my son to see me at that point. after a week, she let him see me after the swelling went down and i looked semi normal. my wife said she was afraid to see me at that point
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.