Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

1 month post op (L5-S1 Discectomy)

I would like to share my story for those people who might be worried about having the surgery done, or people who might still are worried about having some discomfort after the surgery.
I had the surgery a month ago (27 MAR 14) and I can finally say that it was a success. The first 5 days were hell. I live on my own, so it was very hard to move around the house to do basic things such as going to the restroom or reach for something in the kitchen. My best advice for that is to have everything at waist level so you don't have to bend or reach for anything!
First week, I felt pain in my incision and on my right leg (but it wasn't the annoying tingling anymore). I started walking for like 5 minutes only.
Second week, the pain decreased, but it was still there. However on week two, I started to walk about 10-15 minutes daily. I heard walking was good for the recovery. It was definitely good for my mind and hope.
Third week, and the pain from the incision was almost gone. I finally didn't feel like if someone had beaten me with a baseball bat, and the pain in my right leg was also gone. I continued to walk daily about 15-20 mins.
Fourth week came around, and I can finally say that I don't feel any pain at all. I am walking about 30 mins daily. I am extremely happy I decided to have surgery, because as many of you know, life with a herniated disk is not life anymore.

What I am trying to say is that the first week or so after the surgery may feel like it didn't change your situation, but being patient and very careful with all your moves help. I also recommend walking how I did it. You will see the progress, I promise.

Best of luck with your surgery! Let me know if you have any questions about the surgery! I am just an Army guy and not a doctor though.