Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test



I have suffered from lower back pain/ sciatica for past fortnight now. Finding it difficult to work, the first week I was able to manage with painkillers going to work but 9 days ago the pain levels shot up so bad I had to go to A &E as the pain was like nothing I have ever experience in my life. They gave me co codamol 30/500g to which I have been maxing out on and said to take that with ibuprofen . After 2 days of this not really getting the pain manageable my home gp put me on nuproxen. But due to pain I'm still not able to drive without back going into spasm or walk very far so not been able to go to work. I'm seeing a chiropractor for first time this afternoon. Is there anything else I can be doing to help heal my back? Gp just wants to give me painkillers and hope that it goes away!!

Thanks Leanne


  • Glad you found the website- it has helped me a lot! Your post makes me really nervous...I could be wrong, but it sounds like you are going to the chiropractor without knowing what is going on. I've seen a lot of stories on here where that has caused more damage. Seeing a spine specialist is what I recommend. Maybe a spine surgeon, or a pain management doctor. I would just do more investigation before seeing a chiropractor. There are lots of tests you can have, and I don't know if you have had any yet....did they do X-rays when you went to the hospital? Or an MRI...anything like that? Have you ever had pain in those areas before?
    2000- spinal fusion, complete spine due to scoliosis
    2012- pain began, started treatment for chronic pain
    2013- install of pain pump, procedures to address complications
    2014-blood patch, spinal fluid leak
  • PinkellaPPinkella Posts: 211
    edited 05/20/2014 - 7:15 AM
    I think if the pain continues I would suggest you see a spinal Doc who can carry out the appropriate tests that he feels need to be done eg- mri scan, xray, etc.
    I am shocked you went to a chiropractor, Its not something i would recommend without knowing what is wrong with your back, Some chiropractors wont touch your back without an MRI&XRAY report. Id be very careful with who u let touch your back. Only you could end up worse off and in more pain than you bargained for.
    Facet joint Arthritis L3,L4,L5,DDD.
  • I'm confused now because it was my GP who told me to go to chiropractor. GP otherwise just wants to review me in two weeks time and give me painkillers... I need to get back to work before then :-(

    I'm seeing chiropractor tomorrow - he said he was going to give me a treatment plan as yesterday he just did observations...

    If the GP is recommending chiropractor what should I do ? The a & e that I went to 10 days ago did a test to make sure my bowel function was ok... And said an X-ray wouldn't show anything?

    Would it? Should I be going private?
Sign In or Register to comment.