Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi everyone

Hi hello everyone I joined earlier today .... Im sure this site is going to be so helpfull .

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Please tell us more about yourself

Welcome to Spine-Health and how to get started here

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • My name is Debbs and I live in England , Iv had a niggly back on an off for about 10 years its only been in the last couple of years that it has got worse , Iv been to the doctors on numerous occasions only to be told its only back pain and most people have it , early part off last year I saw an advertisement for a new chiropractice openi g up offering a consultation and an xray for a very reasonable price so I went along and saw them and my xray showed that I had osteoarthritis in my lumber spine , I went back to my doctor and told her and she prescribed Naproxen , in the last week it has got a lot worse and the right side of my groin has gone completely numb , I went back to the doctor's and she is referring me to a physiotherapist , Im finding all off this quite scary as I haven't got anyone that I can talk with ..... I forgot to mention im 54 , it'd be nice to chat with other people in the same situation , thanks for listening .
  • Really appreciate the links you sent , I'm going to have a read of them all , thanks once again.
  • You are very welcome...that's what we are here for....to help new members. If you need anything , feel free to pm me.
  • Hi. I have just joined after at least 10 yrs of back pain.I am a bit nervous but think this forum looks great.I am from Ireland, early 40's, mummy of a 6 & 8yr old. I had double discectomy 2 yrs ago.I unfortunately (but hopefully) am 4 wks post 7 level spinal fusion, scoliosis correction, laminectomy & instrumentation. Its all a bit scary but I am recovering very well. I'd so love to get involved with your forum.xx
  • Hiya,
    Thank you Sandi for the above links. I am currently working through them one by one.It is such a relief to find such forums. I am so so nervous about this recovery & great to have the online support. This just HAS TO WORK this time. I am desperate to get my life back. I am doing ok (nearly 6 wks on now-not seeing consultant until end of the month).I had a bit of a set back 5 days ago when I tripped over my little kids toys-ahhhhh the pain. A table broke my fall but I certainly jolted my body & pain has been worse since. Pleasegod the metal hardware hasn't moved inside. Typical!!!!!!Thanks again for all the links & to all the people who post really supportive posts. Xx
  • The good news is that the hardware is pretty tough.......so it would be unlikely that you did anything to it, but you may have managed to twist some muscles so I imagine that you are pretty sore.
    How old are your kids? I had to teach mine to make sure to pick up anything that I might trip over.........and it took lots of patience on my part to get them to do it.
  • Hi. Wow u are so good to reply. My consultant said exactly the same as you at the beginning of this surgery. The hardware is unlikely to break but the bones it is attached to could be the risk factors. His main advise was "not to fall"----lol. Of course that was what I did. Im not as lighthearted as I sound about it but like you say I reckon it could have been worse & prob muscle pain. If I was severely worse I would contact him straight away. My kids are 9 & 6.On the whole they great. The 9 yr old very mature & understands the importance but my wee 6 yr old girl is ' away with the fairies' most of the time . She's learning to be more careful - bless her.We try not to let them get too upset about the whole surgeries etc - they've seen mummy with a bad back all their lives but thankgod are happy kids. It's a juggling game to avoid them getting too affected by it . Thanks again for reply & support. Jo
  • Hi. Mine are 7 & 4. You're lucky your little girl is "Away with the fairies", my little angel is stomping with the dinosaurs most of the day! Ha ha ;-)
    For bad muscle pain never underestimate the power of ice & trigger point injections. I've had a lot of luck with them. I know it's basic but a lot of people seem to miss the simple things. I hope you're doing a little better. My problems started with a fall over a innocent toy!
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • surgery, the oldest then was 13, and another 11, but my sons were youngsters, literally......there are almost 7 years between my daughters ( elder children) and my two sons, who were younger....I came to hate LEGO's with a passion.....and toy cars.....and a few other toys.....LOL
    My walker did not ride over them well and my feet weren't working so I tended to get them embedded in my feet a few times.
    Hang in there JoJo.....if you approach it as a helping mommy idea, they tend to respond better, especially when they are younger, because they so want to please their parents.
  • Hi again Sandi & English girl. Will try ice for sure - thanks. As for kids---we're getting there slowly but surely!!! Lego is safely moved to son's room TG.SHOES-OMG-i never realised my little girl had so many & changed them so often during a short space of time. That would be ok but they are literally dropped wherever they are removed and not conveniently in pairs-oh no! One cud be at bottom of stairs & the other in middle of lounge (don't u just love the carefree naivety).I've actually made a simple chart.Tick for helping mummy & tidying up etc.Its working like a dream. They competing with each other to gain ticks.A prize (small treat) is given at the end of the week if they have gained 20 ticks. (Of course we have to try equal the ticks out so they both feel proud of helping).Ive had lots of little but valuable jobs done for me - emptying washer, bringing clothes in off the line, sweeping up etc.Gives them a real boost to help . Might be an idea for other mums/dads . I've told them they are also saving daddy time doing the jobs so he has more time to play with them too-win win.night all. X
  • My husband used to laugh at me when I told the family that I was not afraid to use bribery to get what I needed from them , at the time and that was to keep things that I could fall over off the floor.......I don't have nearly the amount of shoes that my kids had and , like yours JoJo, one would be in the middle of the livingroom, another in the bathroom or their bedroom.....I finally started teaching them all the bunny ears, around the tree trunk and down the rabbit hole trick to get them to tie them together.......worked like a charm.
    The chart ticking is a good idea, gives them incentive for picking up after themselves and once you have them doing it, you will find that they develop it into habit, rather quickly. I think it's 30 days to develop into a habit when it comes to kids......it's a good plan. Teaches them some responsibility, and helps to teach them to pick up after themselves which comes in really handy when they get a little older.
  • You know those hoarders you see on TV whose houses are stacked floor to ceiling? We're nearly there with little girls shoes & stuffed kitty toys!!! Ha ha ;-)

We're a shoes off when you come in the house family. All shoes go in the basket before we do anything else. As Sandi said, it only takes 30 days to make something a habit. Unfortunately it only takes two incredibly stubborn little people in a bad moods to throw all the rules out the window on a regular basis!! Bribery, punishments, rewards, begging, pleading...whatever it takes to stop the house turning into an obstacle course. ;-)
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.