Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Total Shoulder Replacement

Hi everyone and I have been looking for a forum to talk about pain after my total shoulder replacement. I am 6 months out of surgery and have actually been experiencing worse pain the past month. I don't know what has happened that I am in worse pain than I was. I faithfully do my exercised. My doctor took me out of physical therapy as he didn't want me to get hurt as they press in so hard and yet I feel like I have hurt myself. I added a range of motion, just simple range of motion movement only ONE TIME and there was so much pain afterwards I never did it again and I've never been the same since. I wonder if I tore something. It's so bad at times I have needed to use a half of a pain pill to just get through work. Any ideas or has anyone gone through any setbacks similar. I was thinking about going back and seeing what my doctor thinks. I am not due to go to him for another month but maybe I should go early. I mean, what can he do really? The surgery itself was horrid and the recovery way, way harder than I ever could have imagined. I feel BETTER when I lay down, but I HAVE to work. Thanks for the feedback. I just wonder why I've had this sudden set back after one extremely simple addition of a movement.
Carol
Carol Ann Burrack
advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 7,882

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,040
    that have had total shoulder replacements, nor are they are forums put aside to discuss this
    Spine-Health's sister site Arthritis-health Trusted information for Arthritis Relief will have details about that surgery, but no forums.

Carol,
    However! I have had both of my shoulders totally replacement with titanium implants. I had them done in 2010, one in April, the other in October.
    I was in total misery prior to the surgeries with hardly any strength or range of motion. Today, I have more range of motion and strength then I ever had in my shoulders.

But as you probably already know, the surgery, the recovery and physical therapy for the shoulders is brutal. More than most people could even imagine. I spent 9 months in physical therapy, plus another 6 hard months at home therapy. I also used a pulley system at home which I did every day for over a year 20 minutes a day! That has made all the difference.
    From time to time, the scar tissue would start to cause some pain in my shoulder, but before that escalated, I had that taken care of by my deep tissue massage expert.

I would call your surgeon to talk to them before actually going down. They may have some ideas. Most of the problems associated with total shoulder replacements is in the artificial ball/stem/socket and how well the rotator cuff was repaired. Since almost all tendons, including the rotator cuff was severed during the surgery, they all need to be surgical repaired. Another area that I have heard about problems is in the hand. Since most of the upper tendons were cut and repaired, there are long lasting problems with finger dexterity. I know it took almost 5 months before I could get my right pinky and right thumb to meet. There is just so many things that go on in total shoulder replacement surgery and the recovery afterwards.

I still need to keep my shoulders flexible (use of the home pulley system) to make sure I dont have any follow on pains. My therapists were really surprised about my outcome. After 7 prior spinal surgeries and having the surgery at age 60, they figured at best a 65% range of motion. I am at 99%

Post here, or message me to discuss this further.

What kind of pain are you having? Is it moving your arm in any specific direction? Up/Down/Side/Left/Right? Grasping items?
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • MissyLouMMissyLou Posts: 3
    edited 06/20/2014 - 8:09 AM
    I had total shoulder replacement in 2008. I don't have full range but the tips above might get me there. I found that shoulder pain came back with a vengeance after having my back operated on. Probably that whole deal of how you get up out of bed and back in bed once you've had a fusion. Speaking with your surgeon is your best option. Unless you had a therapist that knew tons about shoulder replacement, there could have been issues. Your surgeon will be able to evaluate and get you back on the right path.
  • My father also have the same problem...His pain is really unbearable..DR. gonna operate him at this weekend...
  • oldguy128ooldguy128 Posts: 2
    edited 12/29/2015 - 8:13 PM
    Well, I started doing work with weights 2 pounds, and found out I cannot move my left arm after surgery more than 8 inches from my side without pushing up my collarbone. Now pain in neck everything is flared up can't sleep, on 20 mg of oxycodone 5mg docs says its scar tissue, it feels locked, my whole shoulder is one large mass, zero movement, can't move the arm without body movement. Could scar tissue really feel like bone hitting bone???

For helpful information please click on link
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Liz -Spine-health Moderator
  • tylerleftshoulderttylerleftshoulder Upstate, South CarolinaPosts: 1
    edited 10/04/2016 - 11:51 PM
    Carol, im sorry to hear you have had as much trouble as you have. I can honestly i know where your coming from on most of it, but i can also tell you id trade places with you  in a second!!! If thats all the pain and discomfort you have been dealt you are VERY lucky.  I had a Total Shoulder replacement at the age of 22. It was unheard of by the surgeon that did mine. It was the WORST thing that has ever happened to me. I am still to the day in Total Agony and Chronic Pain to the point where im a 26y.o. Healthy guy that my pain makes me cry and cry and hate everything about my shoulder. i did 8 Months of PT afterwards and gained NO RANGE OF MOTION. All Ive gained from the surgery is EXTREME PAIN.  I can no longer even do basic things. i have a 2 yr old and i cant even play with him and it breaks my heart, i struggle to pick him up and  do about anything, i cant swing a bat no more, catch a baseball or enjoy anything without being in Pain that will bring anyone to their Knees. Now i have Pain shooting down my neck and curving into my shoulder blade and out of my hand its unreal.  And when you ask for Pain Medicine they act like your a Junky, (Im 25 now, Not 14) if i let it get to out of hand a 30MG Roxicodone will NOT touch my pain!  I can't begin to tell you how many times my parents have took me to the ER bc of watching my cry and suffer for hours on end and it not stoppping.  My hand gets Extremely ice cold when its about to be the worse it can get and usually i cant stop it with 60 Mg of oxycodone. I have no quality of life almost which i hate to say but i miss out on so much with my little boy and he says "C'mon Daddy" wanting to play or ride on my back and i cant do it thats how bad it is. Something is Still Seriously Wrong but of course the Surgeoin always seems to say " i dont see nothing wrong" [edit]. and come to find out i have 3 slpiped cervical discs #'s 2, 5, &6 now i walk around with my head cocksided to the right. I have yet to have relief. and Im Sick of this [edit]. id take years off my own life not to feel what i feel on a day to day basis.

Comment edited by Liz, Spine-health Moderator To removed inappropriate language

• LizLiz Posts: 7,882
    Hello

This is an old discussion created by a member no longer on the forum so I am closing it.
    You can search for articles on this subject or I suggest you create a new discussion

Please click on this link for useful information

Welcome to Spine-Health

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.