Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Failed Surgeries, Failed Injections, feeling hopeless

Okay so I've posted several times since I've been a member. It's been a while since I've updated so I'll start with a brief history.
At age 22 in June 2011 I had a laminectomy/discectomy of L4/L5
I had 2 epidural injections, 2 nerve root block didn't work so...
At age 23 in June 2012 I had another laminectomy and spinal stenosis correction
Both these surgeries failed and yes, it does happen
In January I found out I was pregnant, I was on b.c. and was told I couldn't have kids (other reasons) so imagine my surprise. I couldn't have any injections done while pregnant so 6 weeks AFTER I had a c-section at 39 weeks I resumed and had 2 more epidural and nerve root blocks- February 2014
Last week I just had a facet joint injection for the first time and it hasn't helped and now my dr wants to refer me back to a neurosurgeon to discuss having a fusion.

I'm 25 years old with a 9 month old little girl and my body is in so much pain all day, every day. I can't walk because I hurt when I stand for more than ten minutes, my hips hurt and I'm almost certain that I have trochanteric bursitis. It hurts when people judge and say that I'm not trying or that I'm not in that much pain. I need some relief for once in the 3 years I've been going through this.

I'm young and I want to do so many things and can't. If I have to have a 3rd surgery I'm terrified it will fail too. Especially a fusion.

• Have you had cortisone injections for your bursitis? I could barely walk from the pain and an injection (with fluoroscopy) and deep tissue massage has left me pain free (at least in my hip).
    Artificial disc at L5S1 for 10 years. Had 3 Level lumbar fusion and Laminectomy on Sept 27, 2013. It was an OLIF (Oblique Lumbar Interbody Fusion) with cages, BMP, rods & screws. Norco, Plaquenil
  • and the injections cleared it up, and got rid of the pain very shortly after the injections were done. The lidocaine eased the pain but the inflammation eased over the ensuing days....
  • Something that I have been suggested and have had my first treatment on Wednesday was acupuncture. I haven't felt a difference yet but it can take some treatments to feel relief plus they don't have to touch your back! THe needles are pretty small and weren't painful at all. I don't know if it would help for you because I don't even know if it will help for me but I think it would possibly be worth a shot.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,862
    Dealing with pain for many years can drain anyone. Having to go through this will a young mother just makes it that much harder. I can sense your feelings about surgeries and injections right now. You had hoped that all these actions in the past would have made things better. So, being somewhat reluctant to have additional procedures is complete understandable.

But, you need pain relief. Everyone has their 'doctor' that can help them. For me and many others, it was a

I've been seeing the same on for almost 9 years now. She has total control for my medical condition. Besides writing all my prescriptions (narcotic, nerve, muscle, patches) see coordinates my other medications (blood pressure and nausea control). She has sent me for all of my diagnostic tests (MRI,CT-Scan, EMG,etc) performed Acupuncture and Trigger point injections. When I was up against a wall with my thoracic condition back in 2008, she introduced me into
    Eastern world medical treatments. The use of non-medication techniques (Music relaxation, Aroma Therapy) and specific Thai deep/soft tissue manipulation. I still have problems, but the work down by this Thai expert has kept me out of a wheelchair.

My point is that there are always answers to your problems. No one needs to suffer in great pain every day. Perhaps seeing a physiatrist can help you also.

There is always hope for the future... You would like some now and with the treatment of the right doctor and your positive approach, every day will be more manageable so that you can enjoy days and enjoy all the time you will spend with daughter
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • I haven't been on in a while. I just had an appointment with a new Dr (orthopedic surgeon). I had a discogram done on June 17 of this year and the results showed severe damage to L4 and L5. He told me that he wanted to perform a fusion. He also gave me a choice... ALIF or TLIF. I've been doing research and I'm not sure which one I should choose. I know I need this, nothing else has worked. I've been in pain 4 years now. At such a young age, it's disheartening. Any advice would be appreciated. I'm going to be on more to see responses.