Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Nerve denervation after TLIF Maximummy progress report

Hi ... Been away from the Forum for a while .... Now four months since L4/L5 and L5/ S1 TLIF fusion, plus cyst removed left L4/L5, S1 right facet joint removed and cage in facet joint left L4/L5 .... How am I ? Well, I was off the OxyContin by 9 weeks but am still on strong painkillers when I need them and still taking between 40 to 50mg amitryptyline at night for continuing sciatic pain down my right leg ... The pain down the left leg has gone totally, down the right it is there most of the time and goes from mild to severe depending on how much I am doing. Typically it is worse at the end of the day.

Unfortunately I have been very hampered in walking because my right knee is very bad from arthritis ... Am bone on bone now and it has got worse since my fusion when I was taken off naproxen for so weeks. I have been told by my back surgeon that he doesn't want me to have the knee replacement until I have had a ct scan at six months. So ... Between the knee and the back life is still on the limited side and I have not felt up to travelling for a holiday.

I saw my surgeon for X-rays at three months and they looked very good .. All the hardware where he left it and some eno urging bone growth, so fundamentally the fusion has been a success.

On the plus side ... I am improving in how much I can do round the home ... Cooking, people over, going out to friends or restaurants. If I have a whole day of doing too much then I still pay for it in increased pain and tiredness, but it don't feel ill and ground down from the relentless and severe pain I had before the op.
I thought I had a good understanding of what fusion recovery would be like ...... Nobody can fully prepare you for how long it takes . I thought being strong mentally would make my physical recovery better ... A superwoman ... It doesn't! I know I am heaps better than before and heaps better than say six weeks ago, but still have the pain in the right lower back and down my right leg. I ice it, but it only a temporary relief.

So ... The point of my post is, has anyone out there had a nerve bloke or nerve ablation following their fusion surgery? How common is this? And I the nerve belt ion unpleasant to have done? You would think after fusion that a oouple of needles would no longer phase me, but it is human nature to avoid any more pain! Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks again to all the people who were so helpful and encouraging in the early weeks after my op.

• The nerve pain may resolve on it's own, but it's going to take time.......once a nerve is damaged or compressed for a period of time, it takes more time for it to resolve.
    A nerve block is a temporary fix, meant to see if the pain is relieved, but it isn't going to last long..
    A facet joint injection or rhizotomy might help if it is the facet that is causing the pain......but it won't help if it is a nerve root that is the cause of the pain.
    Have you tried Lyrica or gabpentin instead of the amitryptaline? If you aren't getting good results with it, maybe another medication might be more helpful.
  • I'm post op 4 weeks and since about one week post op I have had nerve pain in my left butt cheek and down my left leg that feels similar to a charlie horse. I've also started having quite a bit of swelling to the left of my incision and burning pain at the surgery site. I've been trying to wean myself off pain meds. I'm taking 10mg Percocet every 6-8 hours. It seems if I do nothing at all I'm ok but when I do the smallest activities or go anywhere that keeps me out of my recliner I have a lot of swelling and pain the next day.

2011 synovial cysts remove L4-L5
    2012 microdiscectomy L5-S1
    2014 open TLIF with instrumentation L4-L5