Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Super itchy incision site - safe ways to help?

I had anterior + posterior spinal fusion 11 days ago and while I think the worst of the recovery has passed (or I hope, really am not trying to jinx myself here!), one thing is driving me nuts and that's itchiness around the dermabond/incision site on my back.

The one on the front doesn't bother me at all, so I'm assuming it's because I sleep mostly on my back/additional friction in that area, but any tips to alleviate the itching? I've had my husband double check and it looks normal -- no skin breaking, no signs of infection, no swelling, etc. although the back incision does look a bit more like it's scabbing vs. the front. In the meantime, how can I help it stop? Not sure if there are any creams or natural cures I can use around the site.

My 1st follow up appointment is tomorrow so I'm going to ask then for sure, but just in case someone else already has a miracle answer, checking with the group. :)

360 Spinal Fusion (ALIF/PLIF) 7/3/2014

• Some of the topical anti itch creams help. Itching is a good sign of healing. And with the scabs forming, it may be that using a little anti itch cream might ease it.
  • Hi --- I swear by vitamin E oil for my scars ... the itching is a sign of healing as Sandi said.. The Vitamin E oil is totally natural and will help the scar heal and put a little elasticity back. I would keep to natural things rather than chemical.
  • Appreciate your input! My dr. said Mederma is okay for around the incision sites as well and might help -- I will def check on the vitamin E!
    360 Spinal Fusion (ALIF/PLIF) 7/3/2014