Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Nerve pain 3 months after surgery

I had back surgery on April 23, 2014. I had a severe herniated disc between L5-S1. I am still experiencing nerve pain in my left hip and down into the back of my knee. It no longer goes to my foot. Is anyone else experiencing this? Is this permenant? What are some things that I can do to relieve the pressure on my lower back?
advertisement

Comments

• Nerves take a long time to heal so it's not uncommon to have nerve pain this far out from surgery. You can talk to your surgeon about a nerve pain medication and PT.

I hope you get some relief! Just give it time and adhere to your post op instructions.

Good luck!
    LC
    Progressive DDD
    Osteoarthritis
    Chronic S1 Radiculopathy
    Discectomy L5-S1 2002
    Discectomy, Laminotomy/Foraminotomy L3-S1 January 2014
    Bilateral SI Joint Fusion and 2 level spinal Fusion October 2014
  • Izzy46IIzzy46 Posts: 24
    edited 07/25/2014 - 11:36 AM
    I had a my microdiscectomy 10 days ago and I am also having some nerve pain issues. People say it takes a long time for the nerve pain to go away. Have you started physical therapy yet? PT is supposed to be very helpful in strengthening the core muscles which will relieve pressure on your spinal discs.
    microdiscectomy 7-2014
  • Nerves can take years to heal, it's sad but it's the truth. Doctors can give you medications such as gabapentin or cymbalta along with others to help "hide" the pain to make it unnoticeable or tolerable. There is really no way at this point where you are yet to tell if it's totally permanent. This would be a good question to ask your surgeon because it varies due to how long the nerve was compressed and how much. Hang in there and be vocal with your doctor. I find it helpful to give my doctor updates so that they can know where I'm at, I have been asked by my doctor to update weekly but monthly or even every 3 months should work. The hard part is having the patience!
  • hyork1985hyork1985 TennesseePosts: 3
    I have started physical therapy. It is extremely painful. I'm not sure if this is normal or if it is just me. Answering another question: I had the ruptured disc pinching the nerve for 9 months. My first doctor did an xray of my hip and told me that the pain is from where my hip was slightly out of place. She sent me to physical therapy. I didn't last very long because I would go home in a tremendous amount of pain. I mean fetal position, crying like a baby. After about 4 months, my husband told me I needed to get a second opinion. That's when I finally found out about the ruptured disc. So I figured that due to the fact that I let it go for so long, that the nerve pain was permanent.
  • This test confirmed my S1 nerve damage. I've heard that nerves can take as long as 18-24 months to heal. If it continues, then you can always ask about testing for nerve damage. PT can cause increased pain in the beginning but the severity of it will determine whether it's normal or not. It took several weeks before I started to make progress.

LC
    Progressive DDD
    Osteoarthritis
    Chronic S1 Radiculopathy
    Discectomy L5-S1 2002
    Discectomy, Laminotomy/Foraminotomy L3-S1 January 2014
    Bilateral SI Joint Fusion and 2 level spinal Fusion October 2014
advertisement