Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Severe pain after l5 s1 fusion

Hi I have put several post on here and got some good advise. So I am gonna try again. I had my fusion surgery in April 2014 we'll to make a long story short and I am still in pain called my surgeon and told him all that was happening he ordered a ct. I was able to get the disc and pulled it up on my computer. My question is has anyone ever been able to look on your ct and know if it is fusing even if it is just a little. Hope some one has answers thanks. I love this web site
Doris Driver

• april 2014 was not that long ago and depending on the type of fusion you had your only in the early stages of recovery .please be aware that a fusion is a surgical mechanical fix for the spine and it done to prevent further deterioration .however deterioration can still happen and on going pain can be a problem with any fusion .if there was any nerve damage prior to the fusion then I am sorry to say that pain from the damaged nerves will remain and possible get worse resulting in altered sensations and weakness in your lower extremities .if you're a man you may also experience sexual problems .predominantly ED and if you're fusion was anterior you may have a phenomena only to men called retrograde ejaculation due to the nerves being damaged during surgery ,you may be in such pain that sex is the last thing on your mind .also look out for signs that things may not be as they should with regards to your bladder and bowel .report any abnormality to your consultant immediately you could have CES or a number of other related spinal abnormalities .its a case of wait and see with a fusion for a lucky few they go on to have almost perfect lives for many they have no discernible advantages or disadvantages in other words they remain about the same and for a few unlucky people they are made dramatically worse but for you its far to early to say to what category you fall in to lets hope you're in the getting better category .you will have good days and bad days .just try to roll with them and not get too elated with the good or too down with the bad
  • Pinkfloyd thanks I am a female but anyways I have some good days and some really not good days. My surgeon ordered a ct cause the pain is so bad it was taking me to the floor. Had that yesterday and now he is ordering blood work, so I am thinking he must think it might be a infection. I am on workers comp cause this injury happened at work and they are pushing me to get back to work and the problem is I can't even walk. Mile with being in severe pain after wards. I have had so e issues with my bowels. Even if I take meds to help me go due to the meds I am on I still don't go. Didn't even think my surgery could be part of that. For the most part I get severe pain in my lower right leg which is never pain but sometimes it is so bad all I can do is grab it to make it feel better. I know it is early in the game, dr says everyone heals differently I guessing I am the type that takes a while to heal besides this is my third back surgery first fusion anyways and people told me the recovery was tough and man I believe it
    Doris Driver
  • if your taking powerful painkillers its almost inevitable you will have some kind of slowing of the bowel .now .depending on how bad this is will depend on what to do about it ,first drink loads of water try to avoid coffee as it will dehydrate you there are natural aids to help but they tend to be ineffective when taking narcotics your doctor could prescribe a suitable bowel regulator which is safe to take on a daily basis I have read that adding orange make the preparations more palatable .
    with regards to your fusion .yes you are in the early stages of recovery and it will take many months before your feeling human again .bearing that in mind any pain you may have radiating into your lower extremities may be with you a lot longer any damage to the nerves is irreparable so you may experience numbness /pins and needles altered sensations bowel and bladder problems if you are concerned about any of the things I have mentioned please contact your doctor .I hope things settle down for you .just try to be patient
  • Update to my case, my dr says I have a failed back surgery, due to I am in worse pain than before surgery and the ct clearly shows something wrong with l5 screw. There is something on or right beside the screw and he doesn't have a clue what it is. Sending me to another dr for a second opinion. Dr thinks need to have surgery again but go through my abdominal area. I was starting to think the pain was all in my head, but test shows something wrong. Has anyone else had something go wrong with just one screw?
    Doris Driver
  • As anyone on here every had a reaction or problem with the chemical they use bmp protein used in fusion surgeries? My dr says that my body is reacting to it and not healing properly, just thought maybe someone had the same problem as me and if so what happened and what had to be done to fix it so the pain went away
    Doris Driver
  • You only had surgery in April. We try to explain to people all of the time that surgery isn't an instant cure for pain......fusion can take up to a year or a little longer before it is complete, and you get some idea of where you may be pain wise, and even then it is common to have some residual pain post op.
    I am not sure what you mean by having a reaction to the bmp? You have to be more specific in what you are asking.