Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

C6-C7 disc bulging - FUSION -OR- DISC Replacement?

Hi Folks

Over the past 1.5 year I've been having the following symptoms and it has gradually gotten worse.
- Instability in hand - fine motor movements
- Pins and needles in my left arm and hand
- Cold feeling on my left arm
- General weakness on my left arm and hand (can definitely feel it when trying to lift heavier objects
- left leg is also a little weaker

I've gotten multiple MRI's over this time and the primary finding shows a disc bulge at C6-C7.

The MRI findings are pasted below. Can u look through and help me with the following?

1. I am leaning towards an ADR since I am 37. Would i be a good candidate? One of the dr's I've seen is recommending ADR and another one said ADR is not necessary at c6-c7 since there is not much movement at that level.

2. Can u help interpret the findings below? I am aware of the disc bulge and know what that means but am not sure if any of the other observations are concerning? Would I need multiple procedures to address all these issues? Or is the fusion or ADR good enough?

Here's the latest results from my MRI report:

The C2-c3 interverteberal disc is normal.

There is a small central protrusion at c3-c4 with mild disc bulge, causing mild bilateral neural foraminal stenosis

There is a mild disc bulge at c4-5 without significant stenosis

At the c5-c6 level, there is a left central ostephyte protrusion causing mild central canal stenosis. There is a mild bilateral neural foraminal stenosis, left greater than right.

There is a focal disc protrusion at c6-c7 spanning 7mm in the AP dimension and deforming the left ventral hemicord. There is a mild to moderate left nueral foraminal stenosis and mild right nueral foraminal stenosis as well

The C7-T1 intervertebral disc is normal

1. Left central disc protrusion at c6-c7 with underlying disc bulge, causing moderate to severe central canal stenosis with ventral cord deformity as well as moderate left and mild right neural foraminal stenosis.
2. Left central disc osteophytic protrusion at c6-c6 causing mild central canal stenosis and bilateral neural foraminal stenosis, left greater than right.
3. Mild bilateral foraminal stenosis at c3-c4 related to disc bulge with small superimposed central protrusion

• I recently had the same question and opted for disc replacement in C6/7. I spent a day examining the medical literature with the conclusion that ADR reduces the impact on surrounding discs and maintains correct spine curvature. I'm 7 weeks post-op, back at work full time and was able to walk unassisted without a neck brace less than 24 hrs after surgery. I went with the new freedom cervical disc.
  • pinkfloydpinkfloyd Posts: 70
    edited 08/13/2014 - 10:59 AM
    can decide if you are a suitable candidate for ADR it depends on the state of your adjacent dicks they will do a discography and blood work and if they are satisfied you may be offered ADR if not a fusion will be the only option what every you have recovery will be long
  • I have the same issue im due for another mri i have a buldging c6-c7 and no reflexes which is concerning to my doctor being 30 years old and i get a burning sensation in my left shoulder tingling in my arm numbness in my fingers....if surgery will correct that issue id have it done id hate to not beable to use my left arm over the car accident i was in two years ago and leave my daughter to help take care of me....itll be hard only using one arm instead of two....there are options id look into the easiest treatment and fastest recovery for it and weigh out pros and cons....