Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Muscle spasms 1 week after surgery

I had surgery Aug 21st which ended up being decompression and spinal fusion L4L5 with instrumentation. Breezed through first 2 days but it has been getting tougher since. Came home Monday. Seeing my GP this morning.

Pain has at times been unmanageable and I have taken more dilaudid than I needed at hospital. Since the middle of last night I have been having muscle spasms of the upper left side of my back. Movement and breathing triggers them so I can't take a deep breath. Is this common? Has anything worked for anyone?

• I didn't hear back from anyone on this so I don't know if it was an experience unique to me. My gp told me to up the pain meds so I did and managed a little sleep finally, but overnight started having dagger like pains in my right chest. Friday morning I had an ambulance ride to hospital with oxygen sat dropping. diagnosis pleurisy, atelectesis and possible pneumonia. no pulmonary emboli. I just got home this evening. improving but still not great.
  • Sorry to hear about the medical emergency and hospital trip. Hope they get that sorted out.
    Regarding muscle spasms, were you given a muscle relaxant by your surgeon or GP? It might be worth getting an appointment and finding out if they have any ideas to help. For bad muscle spasms, I would imagine a muscle relaxant would be more effective than a painkiller. That is just a guess though. Good luck.
  • My GP has never been fond of these and they can be very dangerous when mixed with narcotics so I don't think he would have given them but I think I waited too long before I upped the meds. I will see him on Thursday when the staples come out and will discuss it all with him. Thanks.
  • MaregoldMMaregold Posts: 46
    edited 09/02/2014 - 4:56 PM
    I have had multiple lumbar and cervical surgeries and was always prescribed pain medication in conjunction with muscle relaxants. Your surgeon is the one you should be directing your questions, not your GP. Having your muscles in constant spasm will not help your healing. Have you tried ice or heat? Please address this with your surgeon.