Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Living with pain

Back Pain BenBBack Pain Ben Posts: 1
edited 10/27/2014 - 8:51 PM in Chronic Pain
Hello all,

I am a new member here just reading up and educating myself to get a healthy back.
I started framing houses when I turned 16, went on my own at 21, quit a few years ago because I couldn't handle it anymore.
37 now. I admit, I did not work smarter than harder. I carried things I shouldn't have for lunch bets with my crew etc etc.. Stupid I know. I was strong and worked out every morning before work.

I had a walk board break on me like a trap door. I was holding a nail gun between my legs and holding a sheet of plywood with one foot off the walk board. I fell about 10 feet and landed on my feet before tumbling down. I fell on concrete.

I was young (18) and cared more about working and making money than pain. It hurt like hell but I forced myself to carry on. Around 2006 my back really started going down hill. In 2008 I was out on my boat fishing and went to pull up my trolling motor. I had some serious nerve pain and it made me collapse on my boat deck and knocked the wind out of me. So, I limped around for a few days and went to the Dr. He sent me to PT with out taking any x-rays...

So, I was treated for bulging discs. I never felt any better while doing PT. I had x-rays done later that showed a compression fracture on L5, disk wedge between L5 and L4, a pelvic hip crest (what he called it), T7 is tilted making the lower half of my spine crooked giving me a pelvic hip crest and making my legs different lengths. I recently had my whole torso lock up on me where I was stuck slouched forward and leaning to the left for almost a week, I actually went cane shopping lol. It was really strange looking with my shirt off.

I seem to have rib heads keep popping out of place, I sleep about 4-5 restless hours a night, my life sucks right now. I go in and out of depression. I hurt everyday and some days nerve pain is bad, I stay active and mobile even though it hurts. My life is so limited right now and I feel like I can not live a normal life. I do my exercises and take epsonm salt bath's but nothing works. Now my upper back has joined the party.
I use to be so active, working out, fishing, scratch golfer, hunter, furniture builder, bowling, soft ball etc etc...

I fear I am going to have to continue to live this way till I die. I have no insurance, can't afford an mri. My last meds cost me $450 a month, I quit taking them because they were useless. My Dr. pretty much gave up on me when he ran out of medications to try. I don't want medications, I want a normal life.

Not sure what I am looking for here, just more of a vent. I stay pretty positive, but I do have mental breakdowns about once a month. Any tips on some new exercises might help. I currently do some of the same ones I did in PT for lower and upper back. I eat right and I am actually pretty healthy and fit.

Thanks for reading.