Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Neurontin for spinal stenosis

Kaycee AnnKKaycee Ann Posts: 3
edited 11/07/2014 - 8:02 PM in Lower Back Pain
After almost a year of pain without any relief, I decided surgery was my only hope. On Tuesday, 10/28/14 I had surgery and what was removed was a knuckle-size bone spur which was lying against my nerves. It is now almost 2 weeks post surgery and I am in more pain now than before. I can not walk more than 20 feet without collapsing. My pain runs from my lower back to my left buttocks down my leg to my ankle. No tingle or numbness- just plain ole horrific pain. The dr put me on Neurontin starting one pill (300mg) day for 3 days up to 2 pills for the next 3 days and then on the7th day 3x/day. I have only been on this 5 days. I am also on oxycodone and Robaxin. Nothing so far has helped this pain. I am beginning to get depressed since I am housebound. I cannot go shopping for fear I need to stand in line. Again, I cannot walk any more than 20 ft without severe pain. Any suggestions will be appreciated
Elizabeth Doucette

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    edited 11/07/2014 - 8:01 PM

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • and gabapentin( Neurontin) takes some time to reach it's steady blood plasma level and you are in the midst of adjusting the dosage. Gabapentin has a large dosage range, 100 mg-3600 mg per day, so you are just starting the dosage adjustments. He may want to increase the dosage slowly, as he is having you do, and once you reach the correct dosage, you should notice a reduction in your symptoms.
    You are only 10 days out from surgery so it is going to take some time. If you are going 20 feet and collapsing, then you need to shorten the distances and build up to a longer distance over the coming days and weeks.
  • I went to the grocery store today, and while standing in line had to completely just leave the cart and go to lay flat in the car. Now, I feel like I did a 3 hour workout. Sometimes the pain intensifies after a surgery because the entire area has been manipulated and some areas may be irritated and take time to get less inflamed. I was started on Neurontin for my Disc herniation, and when I first started it I thought it wasn't making a difference. After a few days however, I noted that when I missed the dose, my leg would be ON FIRE. I really do think it is a helpful drug though it took a few days to get used to.

Best Wishes with your recovery....take it easy. Depending on your area....my grocery has an order online option with store pickup. If I have the same problem I had today....again I may take advantage and have a friend pick up and bring to me.

Sometimes we have to adjust all sorts of expectations as we recover.
  • Tell you dr to try gralise, it is a delayed release neurontin. You will start out at a lower dose and work your way up to 1800 mg. It took about 2 weeks before it really got into my system good but I responded very well to it. I tried neurontin and it did nothing but the gralise got rid of 90% of my butt and leg pain.
    Christie Diel
  • edited 11/09/2014 - 9:34 PM
    Fifty-five patients with LSS, who had NIC as the primary complaint, were randomized into 2 groups. All patients were treated with therapeutic exercises, lumbosacral corset with steel bracing, and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. The treatment group received gabapentin orally in addition to the standard treatment.