Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

pm Dr dropped me and I don't understand why?

starfish32sstarfish32 Posts: 1
edited 11/21/2014 - 11:24 AM in Pain Management
Hi, I'm new to this forum and to pain management in general and I was hoping someone here might be able to help.
I am taking care of my boyfriend who has a traumatic brain injury as well as spinal issues leading to cronic pain. He started in pain management about a year ago, signed the contract, etc., and has been slowly (very slowly) getting some pain relief. He never missed a pill count, never failed a drug test, followed the contract to the letter and I thought we had a good relationship with the doctors.
Today when he went for his appointment they asked him if he thought they were helping him and he said yes. Then they said they thought they hadn't been helping and therefore they were dropping him as a patient and weaning him off his meds. The letter that they sent home with us said that they were "no longer confident" they could treat him safely. Then they gave us a list of pm drs in our area and asked us to leave. Now they won't talk to us over the phone and never told us exactly why they dropped him.
Can anyone shed any light on this for us? Any advice on finding a new PM doctor? He hasn't got primary doctor anymore because he was using the free clinic but they changed and his doctor is no longer there.
Any advice would be so helpful because we're both completely new to all this. Thanks!

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    Maybe another DR, perhaps a neurologist who is more specialized in his condition, With the crack down they are having on Pain Drs this doesnt surprise me. Dont give up keep searching'

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,875
    It sure doesnt sound that your boyfriend has done anything wrong.

Even if the doctor feels that they can no longer treat him, there are many other ways in delivering that message.
    If it was beyond their scope (which in many cases it can be) they should always recommend another level of doctor to see.

Continue to seek the help that your boyfriend needs.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • You mentioned he was being treated by a free clinic for GP issues. What was the payor agreement for the PM? My question is was he dismissed because the doctor felt there could be an issue with getting paid. If that were the case, he should strap on a pair and admit the real reason. I've never heard of someone being dismissed like your friend was.

Also, I'd like to applaud you for sticking with your boyfriend and helping him through his medical issues!

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • If they are not willing to treat, then there is not too much you can do except move forwards with some of the other MDs on the list they provided for you.
    I'm not a total Fan of PM physicians, though I do appreciate the one I saw when I had to see him. I wish you the best of luck.