Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain in legs, hip, groin and lower back after a fall

on my nervesoon my nerves Posts: 116
edited 12/08/2014 - 12:22 AM in Recovering from Surgery
About 3 weeks ago I suffered a face first fall due to foot drop. My entire body went forward but my right foot and leg stayed put and when I realized what happened I thought I hyper extended my leg and pulled my hamstring and glute muscles.
I put up with the pain as it kept changing and moved to my hip and knee as well. I went to my PCP 10 days later and went for a bilateral hip X-ray. It showed no break/dislocation. I followed up with a sports medicine Dr. To assess my condition. He said that I pulled muscles and possibly tore my labrum and meniscus. He also said I may have herniated a disc but the X-ray didn't show my spine. He gave me a script for PT for 8 weeks and said to follow up if no better after.
I should tell you that I had an l/4 l/5 fusion in April of this year. I also had a herniation at the l/3 level but not severe enough to repair with a fusion. Since the SM Doctor was questioning the condition of my spine I decided to call my surgeon. I have an appointment on Tuesday for an X-ray and and appointment to see if I did any damage to my other discs. Of course, in the mean time I've been trying to self diagnose and I know from previous experience that is dangerous.
Now I'm also having a burning sensation on the outside of my calves and top of my feet. my left lower back aches after walking and at times it also feels like my ankles are being strangled by a rope. I take 800 mg gabapentin 3x/day and not sure if that's really helping or not.
Has anyone had similar symptoms and what was your diagnosis? I'm having trouble walking more than a few steps without starting to limp so I've been laying around all week. I'm concerned my muscles are weakening from not doing anything but it's painful to move around. I feel like I'm in a catch 22 and not sure what I should be doing. The SM Dr told me not to baby my leg and the more I use it the stronger it will get. I'm really struggling trying to decide what a happy medium is.
Any comments would be helpful and appreciated.

Herniation of l5 S1 l4 , DDD , microdisectomy in June 2013 and re herniation in September
Cervical herniation at C5-7 Jan 2014 with impingement of spinal cord. 2 level cervical fusion Feb. 2014 and 2 level lumbar fusion in April 2014

• GlennMGGlennM Posts: 2
    edited 12/08/2014 - 4:14 AM
    I had my original L4-5 fusion in March 2006. In February 2007 I had a hard fall on an icy parking lot and landed with the brunt of my weight on my right hip and some on my right elbow.
    the pain which came later was excruciating, much like surgical recovery. I went through that with very little in the way of pain meds. It finally settled down to leg and other nerve pain and I went on a regimen of epidurals every several months and long-term use of narcotic pain meds. We thought it was my L5-S1 disc, which was mildly problematic to stsrt, that had gone out. I couldn't afford to get another surgery so soon, so I waited. BIG MISTAKE.
    Turns out that I had broken both the fusion (was not a good or full union after 11 months) and the two bottom pedicle screws. We - my surgeon, pain mgmt doc, and myself - didn't discover this break for almost five years. Because nothing had moved enough to see, yet.
    Ask them to do a thin slice CT Myelogram. This will be the best imagery they can likely get. I had a standard CT Myelo not long after the fall. It didn't show enough detail to see the breakage.
    Because of the broken hardware, I had a 360 done on November 17th of this year. They were unable to remove the threaded screw bodies and had to flip me over during surgery and perform an ALIF to fix me back up.
    The advice here... don't wait so long that the revision becomes major surgery like mine. Press them to run any diagnostic possible to find the root of the issue.

Hope you get to the bottom of this
    PLIF March 2006. Broke union and hardware February 2007
    Discovered breakage and labeled FBSS August 2012
    Revision, hardware removal, and ALIF during 360° procedure November 2014