Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Tough Decision C7-T1

Puck DaddyPPuck Daddy Posts: 13
edited 12/07/2014 - 4:44 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I had a c6-c7 acdf in January of 2002 and now I am in constant pain with c7-t1 issues. The pain is in the shoulder blade, upper chest and all through my arm consistant with c8 nerve root problems. I have gone conservative treatment for 4 months and my Dr. said we can do surgery if I decide it is the way I want to go. At this time I am on gabapentin and mobic which neither get close to touching the pain especially when I try to sleep. I told the Dr. I wanted to try a couple of more months of conservative but the fact that the medicine that is available for me is not helping at all has me reconsidering my decision. My HMO for some reason prefers to keep people in pain rather than prescribe a pain killer that actually works. On one hand I want to avoid surgery to prevent a domino effect with my c5 c6 which is not all that great either but on the other hand it would be nice to get out of this pain and get back to being active and get some sleep. The fact that I'm 41 and know first hand that one surgery can lead to another makes this decision tough. Anybody else wander down this road? Thanks


  • Opiates don't necessarily help nerve pain, which is why the doctor is using gabapentin. What dose does he have you on?
    The issue for many of us, with other level involvement, at any degree is that with surgery, the potential is there for further need for more surgery down the road.
    I and many others have had to deal with the same choice, surgery to attempt to relieve some of the problems now, and deal with the possibility of further surgery down the road.
    The only difference is that mine is lumbar, while yours is cervical. It's a tough decision, no matter how we look at it.
  • Thank you Sandi. They have me on 2400mg per day which seems like a lot.
  • 3600 mg per day, so there is some room to increase it if it is not helping enough. If that doesn't work, then maybe one of the other neuropathic medications like Lyrica or Cymbalta might. I know that dealing with nerve pain is really rough. Hang in there.
  • I will explore those options. Thank you very much for your input.
Sign In or Register to comment.