Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Recovery from ACDF with 4 children

I'm scheduling my C4-C7 ACDF on December 31st. I have 4 children aged 13, 10, 8 & 4 and I'm just wondering about experiences others have had in taking care of their children after this kind of surgery. I know everyone is different but while this wont be my first surgery, it will be my first surgery dealing with my spine. With all my other surgeries including c-sections, I haven't had much help at home and have had to go back to taking care of my children the next day no matter how hard or painful it was. I guess I really didn't realize how serious of a surgery this was until I started doing more research on it. As of right now I will have help with my kids for about 2 weeks after but will probably be on my own taking care of myself, but I don't think that should be a problem. Is this a realistic approach or am I in for a shocker? I've been dealing with this for years so I am concerned about permanent nerve damage. But surgery is my last hope, I'm only 32 but would be happy if it even cuts my pain in half.

• Since I only have 2 kids (9 and 11) and I'm only 8 days out from a 3 level ACDF/corpectomy, but lemme tell ya....my first C-section was WAY worse than this surgery. I'm sore, but nothing the pain killers they gave can't control. I think the difficult thing is that you shouldn't do anything, which is really hard not to do automatically as a mom, as well as not being able to drive. I'm trying hard not to even load the dishwasher because of the bending and reaching.
    I know everyone has their own experiences and results of surgery, so I hope yours is as easy to handle as mine! Hopefully other people can give you advice after the 2 week mark, since I'm not even there yet. Hopefully your older children and any other adults in the house can be a big help!

ACDF w/Corpectomy C3-6 12/8/14 ; Laminectomy C3-6  5/19/2016

• I'm hoping for the best possible outcome, don't we all. My first c-section was a monster too compared to the two I had after that. If mine is the way yours seems then that puts me at ease a little. I know alot of it is not so much about the pain as it is not messing anything up from resuming things too quickly. Which I have a tendency to do. My past surgeries have taken twice as long to heal as normal because I had to resume things so quickly. Thanks for your input anyways, it helps.