Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

looking for some support

5811MP55811MP Posts: 1
edited 01/05/2015 - 7:36 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I'm 51 presently, turning 52 this month. I've had 1 micro diskectomy and another scar tissue cleanup surgery already. I've been battling low back pain now for ay least 10 years and recently I decided to get back into bicycling as a means of staying active. I did a 50K ride back in May that stirred up some stuff pain wise and long story short, I have my L5 and L4 that have shifted forward.

I considered going back to the neurosurgeon who did the previous surgeries, but truth be told, I'm kind of angry with him for not fusing my back the first go around. He admitted he should have in bind sight, but felt that the joints were fusing themselves and wanted to play it conservative. This time I've chosen a orthopedic surgeon who wants to fuse S1/L5 and L5/L4. He wants to do an anterior and posterior fusion. I'm a bit nervous about having my organs moved around and the issues that come with that.

My wife, who has had the same neurosurgeon in her back three times now trying to get hers solid and is still battling crippling pain, thinks I'm insane for letting an orthopedic surgeon work on me. What's everyone's opinion as to who is the better? Admittedly the orthopedic surgeon has little private practice time under his belt, I've researched him the best i can and don't find much at all. The neurosurgeon has plenty of experience, but I haven't seen much good results, both my personal experience and that of my wife's. I have surgery scheduled for next Monday, I know it sounds like I've already made my mind up, but there's still time to cancel.

Anyone have an opinion?