Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Nerve damage healing time

I have had sciatic pain for the past 2 years, but the pain has been minimal for the past 2 months. The pain has gone but not 100%. I can do day-to-day activities fine without pain, but when I run I still get some pain, and I have tried to play soccer but there is too much twisting and turning involved which alleviates the pain.

I now believe that my herniated disc (self-diagnosis) has healed (or almost healed) and now my pain may be from nerve damage. I have done some research and I have read that the nerves usual recovery time is around 12-18 months, but I have also found other information which says that the nerve never really heals 100%.

What is your opinion on this? Has anyone had a herniated disc L5-S1 and took a while to heal completely (to the stage where they can play sports again). Is the almost 2 years of disc herniation without treatment a possibility that I may have permanent nerve damage?

For anyone who is interested in how I managed to reduce my pain after 2 years; I bought a new mattress which was quite expensive and I now stop the semi-lying down you do when in bed on the laptop or watching TV.

Still not 100% but I am very hopeful that I will get there one day as I have improved significantly from where I was, and hopefully it can continue.

Thank you all to everyone on this forum for sharing your views and helping each other!

• Your story sounds very hopeful. I still don't know my diagnosis. I have some sort of L4/L5 nerve impingement between the spine and the hip. My foot is very painful. No change in 6 months. So I have been stretching and doing exercises hoping for some results -- and funny thing, I have bought a new mattress as well! I also have been looking into whether the nerve fully heals. My understanding is that peripheral nerves can heal unless they are cut, and even then can regrow at a rate of 1mm/day. But nerves are a weird and varying thing. Some people claim to have permanent nerve damage, so I don't know what sets them apart other than having had some severe trauma. How are you doing 8 months after your post?