Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Sciatic Pain Ruining My Life

runner555rrunner555 Posts: 4
I've read many posts here for a couple of years and I don't post often. I guess I am trying anything to help. In mid-summer 2013 while on vacation and doing nothing particularly stressful i started having my first hip/buttock/thigh pain. It was very unexpected as I had been a very healthy active person for several years. I am now 45 and barely able to walk a city block or ride more than 10 minutes without terrible pain.

I had taken a break from running in 2013 and just returned for two week when it first struck. I was a lover of running, marathons, ultra-marathons, almost 2k per year for several years. I received a caudal steroid injection in fall of 2013 which solved my pain and I thought that was the end of it....wrong. Within 6 weeks or so it came back with a vengeance. I have tried PT, chiro more injections like SI joint and specific nerve root injections to no avail. My MRIs show nothing to warrant such pain but there was enough concern with my L5-S1 that I had micolumbar discectomy finally in August of 2014. In early December I was walk up steps with a backpack(computer) and gallon of milk. My low back hurt terribly, I couldn't get up the steps, through my stuff on the steps went to the bed to lay in pain for hours.

Since then it has been horrible, peaking the week of Christmas where I got daily Toradol injections for 3 days which helped a little and then another caudal injection Dec 23rd. This maybe helped some like 15% but I am on serious pain meds and still in pain most of the day.

My surgeon has an achilles problem and had surgery and will be out 6 weeks or more. I have appts with neurologists, different neurosurgeon, different pain clinic, and I received response from Mayo clinic today to send in my MRI results. I have already been told my MRI doesn't show cause for such severe pain.

I do daily sciatic stretches and walk as far as I can. I am able to work from home which helps. I currently go into office for half day because I just can't sit in the office chair all day. (got a new one to try and help).

Well i guess that's it thanks for reading.

• runner555rrunner555 Posts: 4
    edited 01/16/2015 - 9:31 AM
    I was just contacted my the mayo clinic and their neurosurgery Drs want me to come for a consult to suggest a surgical solution Feb 4th. I am cautious and concerned it might me a suggestion for spinal cord stimulator and I am just hoping for anything but that.
  • itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 1,807
    Cymbalta was a life saver for my sciatic type pain, couldnt be explained but 8 months progressing sciatica and two weeks on cymbalta went away. Not advice just my personal story. I wouldnt wish that on anyone, i used to punch my leg it would hurt so bad.
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.