Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Disaster after microdysectomy

In July I went out of work for what was to be a minor surgery out possible 6/8 weeks. Here I am 7 months later pain on left side no longer there... So what's the problem well 2 weeks into the recovery I started a very restricted PT . But noticed my right side started to bother me. So I had a post op MRI W /wo contrast now this would be my 4th MRI in September ... I had a pelvic, lower back, thoracic , 2 of lower back. Now I started to mention to my spine surgeon my right back and hip was starting to be painful so that's why he did the September MRI to rule out re herniation . It showed scar tissue near the root but he said wouldn't cause right sided pain and maybe there is minimal fragment radiologist says possible re herniation but again would affect right side....so he does a left sided epidural spinal block does nothing for pain but leaves me in bed with severe side effects and a spinal headache well since then and the PT my condition had worsened to before surgery... I did not have a fusion . Btw I am out of work and have now lost my position and pain just increases. So we order another MRI now do a different type of injection in the right side, no relief and at least side effects are tolerable ... So now dr is baffled ... I did Aqua therspy, I did land therapy any activity makes the pain worse I have been diagnosed with microdisectomy , sciatica, pelvic dysfunction, sacrilliac joint dysfunction , radiculopathy on right side, and my sacrum seems to be like an inflamed source of pain I can't sit long, walk long, bend , my husband lifts me up in the am from bed because sometimes I feel weighted like paralyzed and lately my arms are going numb like awakens me as if a pitch fork went thru the joints can't even do a full body stretch without pain barely sleeping ... So I was referred to colleague and at first he was very intrigued ordered spect scan and possible si injection followed up with him today totally different appt I wasn't on the schedule until the 8th , no it was the 5th, never reviewed films with myself and my husband said everything looks great but u have uptake near T 7 so I want you to have a cervical scan ? gave me a quick look over briefly talked I paid for a follow up visit and now suggests a rheumatologist who BTW can't see me until March . I'm losing my mind . Is anyone been through this ? I've lost a lot my quality of life, my job, which is income and I might add med benefits, just want the answer still no straight disgnosis I don't sit around all day I try to stay active but pain gets worse and no relief with PT eIther. Thoughts ? Anyone

Also will add since posting this al blood work is fine...seems that there is another nerve or 2 more likely to be causing my pain..but spine surgeon or neuro didnt tell me this a family friend who is a cardiologist.....crural nerve, and femoral nerve? anyone have this?

Desperate please help.....
This can't be happening

• itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 1,817
    edited 01/21/2015 - 4:35 AM
    That is kind of the MO at times, when source cannot be found a rheumatologist is suggested to rule out other things, which it might be. Seems like a coincidence that this arose after surgury, surgury can start several painful conditions in some people. May want to see neurologist, things going numb could signal problems . Did you mean uptake at C7 ?
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • edited 01/27/2015 - 6:39 AM
    itsautonomic thank you for your comment I was beginning to think this was a post that really never get responses. In the bone scan with the radioactive injection it shows a buldge at T7. However, normally the drs would look at it closely with me there and explain in detail what "they see. This time noone is looking at it the are just advising me that they don'y know what is wrong. But I do know my body and I was active and working individual prior to all of this and 6 weeks is now over 7 months and no clear diagnosis in sight.
    This can't be happening
  • mightymac76mmightymac76 Posts: 1
    edited 01/27/2015 - 9:14 AM
    Hi ive had plenty of my fair shares in back operations from disc fuisons to microdescetomys. After a simple back on last October 2014 cost me 7 operations in 12 days as everything kept going wrong. Im still having problems again with scatica, walking and normal things around the home. Im still unable to drive due to the serve scatica I still have in my right leg. Every day im on stronger pain meds to the stage im drowsey all day and feeling sicky all the time. I have physio and hydrotherapy everyweek but im stil no better from when I had my first operation. What the hell is going on. I cant work or do anything. Anybody with any answers pls help .
  • Sometimes it's not the spine that can cause sciatica. I've personally dealt with 2 microdiscectomies but I also have si joint instability and piriformis syndrome. Si joint problems are extremely painful can mimic herniations and cause sciatica just as well.
    Microdiscectomy L5/S1 2010
    Revision microdiscectomy after reherniation L5/S1 2014
    Never hurts to ask about parts of your scan that you are curious about. You are paying for that time.
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • Areo123 it seems thats what thats what we originally thought was my situation but im aligned and my nerve pain is very similar to periformis but that seems to keep getting dismissed by drs however physical therapist tested me and says its more like femoral dysfunction because my nerve pain is in the front of my thigh, and at this point ive had 2 bad injections AFTER surgery which as i mentioned the surgery worked for left side since the epidural r/s is worse and im hesitant about doing si injection if thats not my true diagnosis. also heard si joint injection recovery is a bit more painful? i just need a diagnosis.

This can't be happening
  • no dr has ordered a c spine mri has anyone had that scan ? i just had a full spect scan on dec 24 th wont this show the same thing...how will this cause right sided sacral leg/nerve pain? any one ?
    This can't be happening
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    edited 02/18/2015 - 12:26 PM
    Consider a second opinion from another Orthopedic Spine Surgeon or Neurosurgeon. In addition perhaps a Physiatrist.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • Might I ask you Spine A-Z what is a Physiatrist? what do you study and why would someone see you ? conditions ect ? I am considering a second opinion. Any info you have would be appreciated what is Multiple ACDF's Rt TKR? Thank you
    This can't be happening
    its another name for a doctor of physical medicine and rehabilitation. A very helpful specialty in my opinion as they can do injections, prescribe meds and are very knowledgeable in physical therapy and the body . Very well rounded I think.
  • itsautonomic I think maybe that is who I should see for my second opinion. Thank you for the info on type of dr.
    This can't be happening
  • formerweightlifterfformerweightlifter Posts: 196
    edited 03/15/2015 - 2:05 PM
    i saw a physiatrist and he was useless, although he did order a leg mri for me.