Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New to the forum - upcoming surgery

MagistraMarlaMMagistraMarla San Antonio, TexasPosts: 180
edited 01/28/2015 - 9:21 PM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello to all. I'm MagistraMarla (former Latin teacher) and I'll be having surgery for spinal stenosis on April 13, 2015.
I've been trying to get answers to my medical problems for years.
In 2003, when I was still teaching, I began to fall in front of my classroom on a regular basis. My legs would just suddenly give out. My vocal cord also began uncontrollably spasming about that time, and I was diagnosed with spasmodic dysphonia.
By 2008, my rheumatologist figured out that I have Sjogren's Syndrome, which slowly dries out body parts, including eyes, mouth, organs, etc.
I had to give up teaching in 2009, and the pain, spasms and tight muscles in my legs have gotten so bad that I haven't been able to drive for two years, and I can barely walk.
I've seen all kinds of doctors. Some have blamed it all on my autoimmune issues. One called me a hypochondriac. One neurologist insisted that I had MS, but a lumbar punch proved that wrong. When I asked him what could give me some pain relief, he accused me of drug seeking.
I was finally sent to the xxxx, and after a full body MRI, the orthopedic surgeon showed me on the pictures that I have three discs that are disintegrating (L3, 4 & 5) and pressing against my spine, probably causing much of my pain, spasming, tingling and numbness in my feet and legs.
I just saw the doctor today and my surgery is now scheduled. The only other surgeries that I've had were and appendectomy in 1998 and arthroscopic knee surgery in 2008. I must admit that spinal surgery scares me a lot, but I'm sick of living in pain. I'm 57, but I've been living like I'm 87, being stuck in the house when my husband is at work.
I've been reading a lot of the information on this site, as well as this forum. The sticky with the list of things to do and buy pre-op is really helpful. I'll probably have lots of questions for you before April. I'm glad that this forum is here.