Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What is NORMAL pain/sensations after Microdisectomy

edited 02/17/2015 - 11:30 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I'm one week post op (Tuesday 2/10) from my micro D and I was really feeling no pain at all by Saturday that I decided I would wean off the Oxycodone. Sunday AM was my last pill - the only pain I felt was lower back (incision) pain, otherwise, my leg was feeling really normal. I was walking about a mile each day. I was feeling optimistic. Then Monday, I started feeling the pain in my hip area....foot and ankle. oh no. I went to bed that night without medication and slept like a baby. Woke up and cried like a baby - pain coming back. So I started taking the oxycodone again. (disappointing in my head)
Heres my worry. Monday (just before pain showed up again) my 8 year old son stuffed up the toilet and I had to unclog it. Husband was not home so I really needed to fix it. I hovered over the toilet with legs bent, (think saddle sitting) and tried to use just my arms to fix the problem. Fixed the issue. went along with my day. Ok, few hours pass and pain shows up.... and that brings you present.
So this is what I need to know from any of you - please - how long did you take your pain medication and when you finally weaned off of it.... were you in pain? Thanks and If I need to clarify anything, don't be afraid to say so. I took a pain pill 2 hours ago and its kicking in. Thanks in advance! :-)

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Welcome to Spine-Health

Use that above hyperlink to help you get started with Spine-Health and navigate through the system.

If there are any questions, you can always post them here, send Liz or myself a private message or contact Ron rdilauro@veritashealth.com

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • I had my surgery 3 weeks ago and I am on gabapentin and vicodin... The sciatic pain has been sometimes worse than before surgery. I now have a cold and have been coughing!!! The pain is unbearable and I am a little concerned because my back is bothering me more than ever... Nursevsays ice and honeybif not better in a few days call... My ? Is how have others been able to deal with this... Anyonevtry B12:did it work?
  • @Mking..... explain how your sciatic pain is worse now than it was before please. I would just like to compare notes. For example, in my case BEFORE surgery, I had numbing and tingling down my leg.... pins and needle type of stuff.... and sharp take-your-breath-away stabs into my left glute. When I weaned myself off the oxycodone just a few days post surgery, the leg pain came back, but the whole thing felt very achy, the calf especially, almost like a charlie horse... and the pins and needles was more localized to the bottom of my foot only, so every time I stepped it felt terrible. The ankle weakness is also very alarming. I'm now very scared about running out of this medication. But its nothing I can take long term anyway. ugh. Thanks - waiting to hear from you - so sorry you are in such pain.
  • Everyone is different, when I had mine I had immediate relief and was able to walk without much pain any longer. I had to take it easy for a few months but I was off the pain meds after a few weeks. Now I just had a Fusion on the same disc that I had a MicroD on 3 years ago, this time the pain/numbness/tingling was pretty intense after surgery. I think a lot depends on how compressed your sciatic nerve was, the nerve hates to be moved around and depending on the surgery your Dr may have moved it or the nerve is still swollen. My Dr gave me a steroid which really helped with the inflamation, you might want to see if it would help you also.
  • padmeTppadmeT Posts: 9
    edited 02/23/2015 - 8:14 PM
    I had my second L4/5 microdisectomy on Feb 4th and current pain levels are pretty good. I am not taking any pain killers at the moment; only if I can't manage the pain. The pain really varies, sometimes I feel almost no pain, just a slight soreness in the area and others, like today, I can feel the pain quite strongly. It is always worse in the morning. I'm trying to use the pain as a guide for when I have overdone it because the meds just make me think I am completely pain free and when they wear off I am in agony. The tingling sensation and sciatic nerve pain is virtually non existent anymore, just now and again I get a similar sensation. I had this worse after my first surgery and was told that because of the pressure of the disk on my nerve (which had become flattened like a ribbon) it would take some time for the nerve to start working normally again and it was effectively coming back to life.
    @ SMADAR2 ... this is my second op, on the same disk; just be really careful. I have 3 children and have forced myself to step back from emergencies (like your toilet one) because I am now terrified of the disk prolapsing a third time! Hope this helps