Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Herniated Cervical Spine

CwoodenCCwooden Posts: 1
edited 02/18/2015 - 9:42 PM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I'm hoping that someone can help me with this. I injured my neck back in December and since then I've had an x-ray and an MRI that shows that I have a herniated disc in my cervical spine.i've gone through physical therapy which didn't help and I'm currently scheduled for an EMG. since the injury I've had continued weakness and numbness in both of my arms and hands.

Today I had an appointment with my primary doctor who asked me to do a simple range of head movements to check my range of motion. About a half an hour afterwards I was almost completely unable to move my neck and I'm still in excruciating pain. Minikes stiff painful and I'm hunched over like I was right after I injured it. I asked my primary doctor what I should do and he said to call the orthopedic doctor. I called the orthopedic doctor who was closed and they said they didn't take messages of that nature. Is this something that needs to go to the emergency room or should I just wait it out? I don't want to make a mountain out of a mole hill but it's freaking me out that I can't move again.
advertisement

Comments

• LizLiz Posts: 7,910
    Welcome to Spine-Health

Use that above hyperlink to help you get started with Spine-Health and navigate through the system.

If there are any questions, you can always post them here, send Liz or myself a private message or contact Ron rdilauro@veritashealth.com

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Those are symptoms of a nerve injury. I suspect you are headed down a long path of trial and error. It is difficult to give advice for these things because you often don't know the answer until the end. And being only two months out it is too soon for someone to recommend a seeing a pain doctor for long term narcotics and a neurosurgeon to do an ACDF. I can tell you what will happen in a surgery scenario but you aren't there yet and you could be one of the people that heals and never aggravates it again. So for now I would advise doing the following:

Keep a daily spreadsheet in which you document your pain and numbness level three times a day
    On that same spreadsheet record when and what medicines that you take
    Request the next step up each time you visit the doctor if the previous level of care failed
    Learn to function with narcotics, they can be a career saver, just be sure to follow the rules on them
    Keep a folder with all of your case notes and tests in it
    Pick one doctor to stick with you all the way, it may need to be your primary care doctor. At some point he or she will not be calling the shots but its always good to have an advocate in your corner.

Good luck,