Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Reversal of Cervical Lordosis

MadmargbluMMadmargblu Posts: 4
edited 02/19/2015 - 7:24 PM in Neck Pain: Cervical
The last six months I have been living with CHRONIC SEVERE PAIN due to a fall down a flight of stairs. I am unable to perform the activities of daily living. After reading several posts, I can really identify with so many of you.

Finally, after seeing five different doctors and three ER visits I was able to get the proper MRI's done and just last week, the results. Among a broken tailbone, vertebral damage throughout my entire spine, and a broken ankle, I have been told I have reversal of cervical lordosis. The neck pain is just unbearable!!! It feels like I am carrying a house on my shoulders every second of the day. The only bit of relief I have is when I lie down with a soft c-shaped neck pillow. I can't sleep on my sides only on my back, so I do not sleep well. Everything is uncomfortable all day and all night. I am sure I don't have to even say how all this is just emotionally draining. I am getting very depressed.

I have been trying to get some answers and relief from pain management since this happened, but after three visits, I still have only the Vicodin from my primary care doctor which doesn't touch the pain. Pain management doesn't believe I should be in this much pain that I am "drug seeking". It's just unbelievable!!!! I don't know what to do next or how to relieve some of this pain so I can continue to pursue a doctor that will listen and give me a full diagnosis and explanation of all the damage and some pain relief.

I really would welcome any feedback and experience anyone has with the reversal of cervical lordosis. That right now is more painful than my spinal issues and my ankle. This is such a great website. So informative and supportive. Thank you!!!

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Welcome to Spine-Health

Use that above hyperlink to help you get started with Spine-Health and navigate through the system.

If there are any questions, you can always post them here, send Liz or myself a private message or contact Ron rdilauro@veritashealth.com

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • itsautonomicitsautonomic LouisianaPosts: 1,806
    you broke tailbone and ankle in fall ? I have reversal of lordosis due to spasm and the doctors said can cause pain in my case.
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • Are you in a lot of pain? Are you wearing a brace? From research that I have done, that seems like an option to correct it but I don't know which brace to get. And my insurance, I was told, doesn't cover it so the doctor pretty much dismissed the idea
    Believe it or not I am having a lot of trouble with getting to the bottom of this. It sounds crazy but it's been six months and I am pretty much in the same place as when I fell. If anyone has any suggestions. PLEASE PLEASE let me know. I feel like I am just stuck like this. It's just a scary unlivable state of which I do not want to be in. Do I keep "doctor shopping"???? Has anyone had the same experience with the doctor situation??
    I am , but I have so many other larger things going on this was just one of the findings. My MRI says its from spasms , does yours?
    Do your due dilegence, trust you know your body and question everything if it does not fit. Advocate for yourself and you will be suprised what will be revealed trusting your body and instinct.
  • My MRI report also says reversal of cervical lordosis "consistent with muscular spasm". The one thing that may help you with that is muscle relaxants. My concern is when you said "vertebral damage", anything specific?

ACDF w/Corpectomy C3-6 12/8/14 ; Laminectomy C3-6  5/19/2016

• My MRI's state "reversal of cervical lordosis, degenerative disc disease at C5-C6 and C6-C7 resulting in central spinal stenosis. At C5-C6 there is mild right neuroforaminal narrowing secondary to a shallow right lateral disc herniation. Impingement upon right C6 nerve". I still do not really know how serious this is or what exactly it means because neither pain management nor my primary care doctor have explained this to me.
    I also have "a compression fracture deformity with anterior wedging involving T12 vertebral body. Hemangiomas involving T6 and T7 vertebral bodies. ". Then I have herniated discs at L4-L5, a broken cocyx bone and broken ankle.

I have zero quality of life and have lost 27 pounds. So now I weigh 100 lbs and am constantly being asked by these doctors, am I anorexic which makes me feel so horrible because with the proper blend of pain management From the beginning, I would have not lost all that weight.
    There are no words for the pain and my emotional state is declining daily. I have been seeing the same counselor for six years due to other life stress so I do believe I need "the blend" to get a handle on the pain. But I am feeling at this point that I am forced to "doctor shop". As for "drug seeking", I get furious because I don't believe I should have to beg for pain relief. I have taken muscle relaxers, anti inflammatories 3 shots........ Everything I was suggested to do, I complied and still my pain level never went under a 9 on the pain scale in six months.
    I have found a pain management patient advocate today online and she told me, unfortunately, this is not an uncommon occurrence and is emailing me a few tips on how to communicate with the doctors more effectively, which being honest and polite should be enough one would think. So I hope when I go on Monday to my primary care he will do something, anything, to take my pain level down even a notch.
    Madmargblu, I think that is a good idea to speak with an advocate and see if it makes a difference. There are many of them out there and many organizations pushing for better treatment and management of pain, I like the ones that are started and ran by boards of doctors from very prestigeous institutions of medicine. Get some good information.
  • First of all, what helps me get through it all is that I keep on looking for the one good thing in a day, it will help keep you out of the doldrums. Once you find one, then more will come. It's best to be focused on them instead of the pain.

I am still in pain daily, but it's manageable. However, it's been a long road for me since being fused at the C5,C6&C7 15 years ago due to an on the job injury. I am now dealing with Facet Joint Pain in the C3-C4 area of the neck. The one thing I did over 5 years ago now, was to get OFF THE PAIN MEDS!!! They were messing with my brain and other things that I felt like a guinea pig with all the terrible side effects as they switched and tried new types of meds on me for the pain. So I went and found a homeopathic guy and he started to heal me with herbs, supplements, minerals and homeopathic remedies. It took about a year before my internal inflammation was down and I was able to do the household chores once again. I still can't work a full time job, but fortunately for me, I learned how to build websites when I was couch bound so I can do that when I can and make rent. The best thing is, I am NOT couch bound anymore!! Yippee!

The thing about pain meds is that they never really catch up to the pain level. And some make you dependent on them and you need to take more as your body gets used to them or builds up a tolerance, which by the way, is NOT good for your internal parts like the kidneys, liver, etc. The other thing they do is mask the actual introductory pain just enough so that you do things to re-injure yourself. Say you are having a good day, so just a little laundry. Well 5 loads later all folded and put away and you are dying of pain all of a sudden. Well, classic example of pushing yourself to hurt MORE! Without the pain meds, I feel the first twinge of ok, it's time to stop. And when I do, well, I can manage my pain with ice or heat, stretching and some Arnica for the muscles. I am also finding relief from the muscle spasms through acupuncture as the pain in my shoulder blades has diminished. I am capable of doing more now because I don't over do it... and when I do, I feel it for a couple of days as the pain goes from chronic to acute in no time. But I can garden again, albeit a little at a time. But it's a start for me. First time in years I could work outside! There are good days ahead, once the hard days are behind you. Always look back and see your progress, but keep looking forward, always look forward so you don't fall back.

Don't' get me wrong, I still have pain and nausea everyday and I see someone for my depression because normally I am not much of a complainer and hold all of it inside. Letting it out to someone who won't gossip, I live in a very small town, is actually very comforting. This way my partner doesn't have to always hear about how much it hurts, nor the rest of my family. My pat answer when they ask how I am is, "Getting By", because it's the truth. God only gives us what He knows we can handle to strengthen our Character." As someone said, " I just wish He didn't think I could handle so much sometimes."

The one thing that I highly suggest you do, is educate yourself on the procedures. There are many helpful sites like this one and of course the Mayo Clinic that can show you just what you are up against. Take one section at a time and work on it. The more you know and ask intelligent questions the better the doctors will treat you. Don't be a smart ass though and tell them what you know, just be informed so when they do talk to you, you know what they are saying. Also, it helps to take someone with you. That way you have two sets of ears to listen, as when I was on pain meds, I didn't hear so well nor remembered as much either. Go figure huh?

Believe me, when you are done, you will know more about what is out there then some doctors but most of all you will know what is wrong with you and how to fix it yourself and how to prevent the pain from getting worse. I can almost read and ex-ray and an MRI now I've had so many. I ask a lot of questions too, doctors love talking about them selves and what they know, it's their job to do so as well. (In my humble opinion that is since we do pay them for their expertise)

Well I have rambled quite long here... my apologies and my thanks for your post that spurned me on like this. Maybe it's part of my healing process, to give encouragement to others like me. I do believe and hope that you will find that healing is more a state of mind, listening to your body and giving it what it needs to heal, than surgeries and drugs. Sometimes like in my case, surgery didn't "fix" the problem and surgery can't "fix" the problem now for me. So doing all I can to stay pain - less, never will be pain free, is my goal daily. I get up, I go and I do.... what I can, when I can and no more so that I can get up the next day and do the same. And if you need to rest because the pain is too terrible than by gosh do that! The laundry, the cleaning, the rest of it all will be there when you begin to feel better. And by the way, that's what friends are for, to help out when you need it. I do hope and pray you have a good group of friends, family or congregation that you can lean on for a bit. It may take some time to heal and find your own personal balance for your pain levels.

Phil 1:6
  • Thank you for your post Mel. You are right. I am doing all I can to achieve that blend to get some relief. And positive attitude is number one. I know that. I go to counseling every week and sometimes twice. My counselor is great. She contacts me almost daily to see how I am.
    I have a daughter that has end stage renal disease. She is young and I am her caretaker. That's the issue. I want to know what EXACTLY is wrong with me and how can I obtain some quality of life to be able to once again care for her. Dialysis is a terrible thing for anyone, but for a teen it is worse and just heartbreaking. I don't have the option to sit and rest most of the day. I have to be able to function to get her to her treatments and appointments and I can't.
    I have spoken with a PM patient advocate and was hoping they would actually advocate for me and act like a watchdog sort of. Make sure certain tests were done .........whatever. Seems she just reports what PM clinic you have visited and notes your experience with them. I have contacted two other groups who did not respond after two weeks.

I called my PM clinic and had my appointment moved two weeks closer and that was an argument almost. I don't understand how this works. My insurance says injections are not what they will pay for first. It should be pain meds of some kind, aqua therapy then injections. I seem to be just going around in circles. About to lose my house and my daughter may have to stay with my sister.
    Mayb I am not able to adequately communicate how serious my life situation is. Even before I fell it was tough but I was doing it all fine.
    I did become emotional at my last appointment because the student doctor told me "you shouldn't be in this much pain". The dr or NP never came in the room. I was upset and furious knowing my next appointment was six weeks away. So I left with gabapentin , which I already take and doesn't do very much for the neck pain at all and it wiped out my short term memory very badly. They are the only gig around as far as PM. It just feels like they are trying to get rid of me. It sounds crazy but I don't understand. It used to be when u got sick or had an injury, you were treated for it. Anything that has to do with pain is very mismanaged on all levels. I don't understand and I don't know what else to do. I will not ask for pain meds because then they really won't help me. I am sure I have said this on all my posts. And I apologize. I am not sure what I expect anyone here to do but it helps to just vent it to people who really understand pain. Thank you all!!!
    Madmargblu, I am sorry to hear about your daughter, life is hard enough without health issues and to have them as a caregiver would be overwhelming. Hoping things turn around for you
  • tpmttpm Posts: 80
    edited 03/11/2015 - 8:27 AM
    I also have reverse cervical lordosis Injured 10 years ago and have C4-7 fused with C3-4 herniated. I use a neck heating pad most of the day along with my Meds. I take Percocet 4 times a day with muscle relaxers. Some say a fusion may help but in my case the fusions made it worse. Pain 24-7. And I must agree it's a fight to convince your doctors that you really need the medication