Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Sciatica pain after TLIF

Hello all,
I was hoping that I could get some advice from the forum. I have had sever back pain for 11 months since a car accident last year. It turns out that I had a herniated disc and retro thesis of my. L5/S1.12 days ago in underwent a minimally evasive TLIF and I have been reviewing eve since . I am doing great with walking and getting around mostly without any pain meds . My issue is that I am experiencing severe sciatica pain down the right buttocks, leg and foot. It is so bad that I am being awoken every couple hours. My dr prescribed OxyContin for pain, Flexiril to relax the muscles, Tylenol and recently put my on lyrica and 6 day oral steroid. I never had any sciatica pain prior to surgery and I am totally freaked out that something is wrong and I cannot imagine living out my life with this nightime experience. During the day, I am fine with little sciatica flar up - it's the nightime. Overall, I am very pleased with results of the my TLIF. Any advice about my sciatica pain post op would be wonderful
Ricky Levine

• geezer123ggeezer123 Posts: 1
    edited 01/17/2016 - 12:53 AM
    Hi I am 14 days post Op for TLIF on L4 L5 following a Spondylollysis which was trapping a nerve which caused Sciatic pain if I was stood for long periods. I used to be able to relieve the pain by sitting which opened up the discs. I have had the surgery and it is still early days to know if has worked. Like you I am suffering at night between 12 and 4am with severe sciatic pain in right buttock and all down front of right thigh to foot. Nothing eases the pain. In UK they prescribe Codeine, Paracetemol and Amitryptiline but it is still happening. I read that it is common post Op and can last weeks but wondered if you had had any ssucces with the pain. Thanks

This is an old thread, the original poster has not been on the forum for more than 10 months

I suggest you Create a new thread

For helpful information please click on link
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Liz -Spine-health Moderator
  • hvillshhvills Suzhou, ChinaPosts: 731
    I had the same horrible post-op nerve pain as you and the only thing that gave me partial relief was 40mg of timed release Oxycodone. I would take one tablet once a day in the morning and I was usually good for the next 24 hours. It can be very addicting so be careful...
    Harry - 63 year old male...
    PLIF L4-L5-S1 due to disc degeneration... May 23, 2013
    PLIF L5-S1 due to failed fusion and broken screw... Jan 19, 2015
    Microdiscectomy, decompression L3-L4 due to herniated disc... Jan 19, 2015