Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Serious swimming post op fusion

Hi, wondering if anyone aware or heard of anybody after surgery had success, fully recover going back to pool swimming competitively? If so, please pass on how?
I am 5 months since fusion L3-l4 and before surgery I was so confident that by 6 month I be back in the pool swimming like I used to. Well, as of today, looking not any time soon. So, I am trying to find out what PT in water that can help because PT exercise on land is different than in the water. Thx!

• I did Aqua therapy exercises after my back surgery and loved it. I started out slow because it's still exercise. I would walk laps first. Gentle exercise then a lap then the next time add a lap etc. the water was warm 90 degrees. Cold will make your muscles spasm. I did this two times a week for three weeks then 3 times a week for 3 weeks.
    2005-ACDF with Corpectomy at C3-C-5.
    2006-L4-L5 diskectomy.
    2009-Cervical laminectomy at C3.
    Steroid injections series x 4.
  • Hi Avid,

I phoned my physio today (5 weeks post TLIF op) asking if I could go swimming. His response was: the slower you take it, the better you'll recover. He said I could start again next week, but only very moderately and he will be giving me an 18 month training and exercise guide with an expectation that I'll be up to speed by then.

Sorry if that's not entirely what you wanted to hear, but the expectation that I'll fully recover swimming was very encouraging.

L5-S1 herniation. Both knee meniscus tear. L4-5 herniation - 2 x nerve block injections. L4-5 discectomy. L1-2 nerve block injection. L4-5 reherniation - TLIF fusion. 2016: L1-2 and L5-S1 retrolistheses and multiple facet joint degeneration.