Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

spelling skills

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,662
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Water Cooler
:O There were no warnings on any of my meds that said I would have to backspace more than type to get a coherent message written. :P Even then there are mistakes, or words that I have spelled many times and can't figure out. :? So I find an easier word to replace it! Sometimes speaking is also an issue!

Now, I am a fairly educated person.....I actually have a college degree. But lately I AM NOT SMARTER THAN A FIFTH GRADER!

Anyone else having this problem?

• I have never been good at spelling and or grammer.....
  • and here i was thinking it was just me? my short term memory is shot too,hmm
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod

Welcome to Spine-Health

• When I started taking Topamax my friend said "oh, you're taking the stupid pills". It took me about 2 weeks to figure out what she meant by that LOL! Now I've added to that cocktail and I'm really bad.

I have to write EVERYthing down. I used to have a memory like a steel trap. I worked by appointment and could recite appointments that I had weeks down the road- now I can't remember what I had for dinner last night. Spelling? Forget it (no pun intended lol). I was going to petition for a spell check feature but didn't want to look like a dummy :(

Sigh...what'r ya gonna do about it?

• Oh Paul, I am so glad you can laugh about it, as of my MRI and X-ray last Friday, my Gabapentin dose is being doubled, so I am now up on 600mg x 3 daily, I shall be going out shortly to buy more post-its and don`t laugh too loud , but I shall buy more cassettes for my dictaphone, which I have dug out and begun to use as a memory aid, I am also starting up again on Oxycontin since Fridays scan showed non-fusion and 4 loose screws,one of the screws touches a nerve occasionally and the pain I am having is now "legal". I can`t imagine oxy will give me any memory improvements either !
    Be very glad you are not bi-lingual as I am here and forget which language you started a sentence in, the looks of confusion I recieve are priceless :? .

Anna, I have my Danish and my English dictionaries next to me if ever I sit down and write, which is fine as long as don`t forget which word I was looking up, once I have remembered which language I was writing in. At the moment I am a qualified and experienced nurse who should not really be trusted with more than a packet of plasters!

• I'm with ya all the way abudrow,,,,now what is the topic again? hehehe :jawdrop:
  • Like I posted in another thread. Was trying to spell the word "our". I absolutely could not do it. I typed "ower", owr, and don't remember what else till I finally got it. I mean come-on....it's just 3 letters, how hard can it be??

Bad thing will be if we come -off meds and find we are still like this!
  • I yeah...the best is when I ask my husband what shift he's working. They change every three weeks to a month. I must ask him 10 times a week, what are your hours this week? And if they switch it around on me after I've figured it out- I'm doomed.

I have every appt. in my calendar and in my cell phone so an alarm goes off. I used to be able to keep track of everyones schedules in my head and make very few mistakes. Now I get to a store and if I forgot my list, I have no idea why I'm there. At one point I had toilet paper on my list, well, everytime I went to the store that week I bought more toilet paper because I forot I already got it. We had enough to last quite a while before I figured it out!

We could form a suport group but no one would remember the time or place!
  • I have no problems, lolllll
    Cannot remember shit and my head and fingers are not always on the same page.
    At least I am not alone, and no one makes judgments here.
    I hope on day to get a back to having some clarity.
  • Sorry to here that Erin. Hope you get to feeling better soon.
  • I am dyslexic so I have always had trouble spelling. One thing I don't like about this forum is the lack of language support. My solution is to have a word processing doc open at all times and when I get a word that I can't spell I go to the doc and type it in, let it edit then copy and paste

• You are in good company W Churchill was not the best at spelling and many others and he was not on the meds you are, thinking of any words in relation to that takes some doing, if you look really hard at the bottom of the symptoms in tiny writing is does say spelling can be changed forever. !!

So long as you can spell compassion, consideration and acceptance, who needs the rest.

I am loving that technique CherSpirit, what language support would help you specifically.

• But I am anal retentive about spelling and grammar...My only bad habit is using the ... more than I probably should but that's about it. Even in text messages I write everything out , I don't use U or U R or any of that stuff! But I have a large vocabulary and love to use it, I think it's all a result of reading so many books! I make the occasional error, but not too often. I'm a perfectionist in that area! Don't worry though, I won't beat you for misspelling a word or any grammatical errors! :P ;)
  • I forgot what i was gonig to say. :jawdrop:
  • Spelling isn't a problem for me (I blame any spelling errors on typos-hehehehe), but my memory is totally gone. I remember when my husband and I first married, we were talking with a lady who had several children, and she was the most scatter-brained person I had ever met. I had to keep reminding her what we were talking about, and I still have her blank-stare image stuck in my little brain.

Fast forward now to 2008 when I have 5 children. I am totally doomed. Between memory loss from having too many things to remember as I juggle each child's activities and schedules, along with the...what was I saying...oh yeah, the total confusion about what I was doing 5 minutes earlier, I have to wonder, is it the meds or is it the kids? Hmmm, either way, I am a replica of that dear lady I met years ago.

At least I know it isn't alzheimers. When you have that unfortunate illness, you are so forgetful you don't know that you are. But I have a strong family history of Alzheimers: my paternal grandmother and all 5 of her daughters have suffered with alzheimers. My cousins and I joke that we are going to remodel the original family homestead into our own psych ward so that the 20 or so females in the family can go crazy together. It is definitely in the gene pool.

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • I'm definitely gooder at grammer than speling.

• I am kinda like viking ,i start off a sentence in one of a few languages,or find a word i cant remember in english,in another language ,for some reason french or latin,,and add it in to the .uhhh dang... just went blank...oh yea sentence.even the proffessors have a hard time keeping up with the sentence,and here i thought they were educated!
    Ya it is a bother,to forget your language skills,guess in the future i need to find a job where i wont have to speak?
    thats why i try so hard here to write a cohesive sentence, maybe practice will slow the progression of loss..who knows.
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod

Welcome to Spine-Health

• I personally have an automatic spell check, that puts a red line under any word that is spelled wrong. If I still can't figure it out... I always keep another window open, I use firefox, and there is a google search in the tool bar, I start typing the word, and it automatically puts up suggestions...
  • yeah, since I've been on this forum... I've noticed the ...'s too. I type them... way to much... lol
  • I have noticed since I started meds... that I have become superhuman typer woman!!! My mind works too fast, and I constantly intertwine two words into one!!! Figure that one out.

As for memory, I was driving my sister to NH. She was reading the mapquest directions for me. I kept asking her... ok what exit am I looking for? Exit 24B Amanda!!! I must've asked her 10 times in the 10 miles it took to get to that exit, and as I came up on it, I said "Exit 24A right?" No Amanda!! 24B!!! Just as it was almost too late to take 24B I managed to safely (if thats even possible) swerve over and make my exit.

I swear, my 14 year old sister must think I'm the dumbest person alive!!
  • I guess if we didn't laugh about it, we'd be in big trouble. My teens just give me a funny look and ask me if I know what I just said....of course I tell them I have no idea! :?
    I tend to type more responses after I take my meds. I know they make me chatty at home, I guess they make me chatty on the boards too. :P

Oh Well, at least I'm not alone!!! :D

• Well I was dyslexic typing in chat in the first place. Then add some Lyrica and/or Darvocet. It gets worse. The spelling sometimes goes south. Grammar is not too bad. Short term memory went straight down the hopper. That and focusing on a complex configuration that I need to implement. I'm the one who designed the frigging thing before I started on the Lyrica. If I took the dose my surgeon told me to take I would be a complete tard...
  • I blame it all on Bill Gates and others who have designed automatic spell checkers thus allowing me to fall into terribly bad spelling and grammar habits.
    Keep positive!

...an old timer here and ex-moderator