Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Kadian help *sigh* Is anyone here taking this???

manaleriemmanalerie Posts: 549
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Pain Medications
Hello, My name is Amanda

I started kadian 2 1/2 weeks ago. My neurologist started me on 30 mg twice daily. I had some pretty annoying side effects, which tapered off slightly after two weeks.

The pain in my spine was FINALLY relieved, but no relief in my buttocks/hip/leg. After 5 hours the pain in my spine would return, and since kadian is 12 hour time release, could not take my next dose for 7 more hours.

I saw my neuro for a follow up after two weeks, and showed him the list of side effects... (nausea, constipation, migraine, anxiety, trouble passing urine) and all of the other medication I was taking to counter act these effects (prilosec, colace, migraine med, anxiety med).

He increased my dose to 60mg twice a day. Now the side effects are unbearable. I wake up every morning with a headache or migraine (had 5 migraines in the last 2 1/2 weeks) severe nausea, and some vomiting. I cannot pass urine, until my bladder feels like it may explode. I seem to feel better after a few hours, but like I said its unbearable. I stay home with my 2 1/2 year old son, who doesn't understand why I can't play catch with him.

I also have been very irritable, sometimes downright mean, and that is SO not like me. I want to stop the Kadian, and go back to Norco... but I'm not sure what to do.

Will these terrible side effects go away?

Is Kadian safer to take than Norco? (I'm thinking in terms of addiction and such) Since my dose was increased... I have had ZERO pain in my back and legs, and kadian doesn't give me any sort of "buzz" which leads me to believe that it is safer to take than the other narcotics my docs have tried.

Any opinions would be very helpful... especially any in regards to side effects, and how to handle or decrease them.

Thank you

• I am norco too and I just recently asked if there was anything Er in the norco family. My PM told me that an ER version is to come out in August (not sure if just in my area or everywhere). So in the meantime I was put on Avinza (slow release morphine similar to kadian) and it sucked. I was very short tempered too and could not pass stool even after chugging castor oil. It was terrible. I have two small kids two and my patience with them was foreign. It was not fair to my kids nor my husband. After two weeks she switched me to oxycontin and its ok for the pain but great as far as the side effects go. The severe irritability is labeled as a severe side effect of the meds so your doc should have taken you off of it just from that alone.
    I go back to my doc next week but hope she will give me a script for the vicoden er starting in August.
    Good luck.

• I have been on Kadian for almost a week now and I understand where you are coming from. It is the time release form. It definately doesnt last twelve hours. I also take percs for break out pain. My side effects are similiar to yours. It does tighten up your stool.I have found prune juice is the best for this. As for it making you meaner, I see that it can. From what I understand I have been told that this is not as addicting as the oxycotin. I dont know what Norco is? Could you explain it to me? Thank you............hoot
  • Hey guys~
    I also take the Kadian, have taken it for about a year and a half. I don't take anything for breakthrough pain, but don't have trouble with it usually anyway. Something I have found to be helpful with the constipation problem is to eat a bowl of mini wheats for breakfast. If I will eat that for breakfast every morning, I don't seem to have any trouble. I had much more trouble with the Oxycontin and constipation. The only thing that would ever help me then was to take laxatives. I HATE laxatives! My PM doc says that if you take fish oil (the recommended dosage is like 5/day) and magnesium supplements (magnesium is in Milk of Magnesium), that it should help with constipation. I personally couldn't stand taking the fish oil capsules. They make you burp fish all day and night. It IS good for you though...
  • I checked on the website for kadian and they have something you can sign up for to help with the cost of the medication. You don't have to qualify for it by meeting a certain salary or anything. Anyone can get it! Check it out.
  • I was taking Kadian I repeat WAS never again. It was the worst 2 weeks of my life. Severe very real night mares, profuse sweating, headache, pain increased but all over my body, urine retention, extreme hair loss, heart palpitations, fever. Oh just aweful. It took a week to get all out of my system and I only took it for 4 days. I cringe remembering how bad I felt. I actually thought I was going to die.
  • I felt like that when I was put on Cymbalta. I felt like I was tripping on acid. I took one pill and it took nearly 4 days to get out of my system. And my stupid doctor didnt believe me at all. He said it was impossible.
    I recently was put on Avinza and it was brutal as well. So hallucinations, but so constipated I drank castor oil and it DIDNT help.

Did they switch your meds? I am on a trial of oxycontin right now. I dont hate it, but I am not sure I want to be on it in the long run either.

• It goes to show that some meds are well tolerated by some, and not others! I was on Avinza for about 2 yrs (now on ER morphine 2x/day) and it's been a lifesaver. I've taken up to 60m a day without any problems, but anything in the oxycodone family makes me batty. Any narcotics are going to cause constipation, and the higher the dose/potency the more that will come about. Kadian is different from the addiction perspective (as are most ER meds). Your body becomes dependent with long term use and it's harder to get off of them in terms of withdrawls, but since you don't get the "high" from it like you do short-acting meds it's usually harmless psychologically (I repeat usually). Some people seem to do better with one med group or the other (in my experience). Some can tolerate the oxycodone meds and some the morphine based meds. Funny thing I've found is that if you tolerate one, you typically don't tolerate the other well. Of couse this isn't everyone, but I've found this instance in a lot of my patients. If you don't do well with the Kadian, maybe try the oxycodone family. I'm really interested in the ER version of Norco though! That may be promising! Wish you lots of luck!!! :)
  • Norco I believe is a different brand or type of vicodin. Its 10 mg hydrocodone 325 acetaminophen...
  • Thanks for all of your posts... I've made a few calls to my doc, but he doesn't seem concerned. I'm so tired lately It seems I can never stay awake. I stay at home with my two year old son, and its just not fair to him.

As for side affects, I'm still terribly irritable, and have the hardest time passing urine. I feel like I'm pulling muscles in my shoulders, just from tensing up to pee.

My bladder gets so full, and I actually wet the bed the other morning!!!

Break through pain is getting worse, I'm going to call doc again tomorrow.

It's so comforting to know that there are so many other people in pain like me. None of my friends or family understand what I'm going through, and its actually depressing. Half of them I think don't even believe me!
  • So the reason I got on tonight, was to tell how my visit with my primary went.

I had an appointment with him on Friday, to get some sort of stop smoking aid. He actually lectured me for 30 minutes about taking narcotic pain relievers, how I need to have surgery, and why haven't I seen the surgeon (um, because you need to refer me to one!).

I left there in tears. I cannot believe that a doctor actually had the nerve to sit there and judge me. He thinks pain relievers are so terrible, but he had no problem trying to push the new drug to quit smoking, which I don't want, because I've heard all sorts of things about people on it thinking about, attempting, or even succeeding at committing suicide. With people like that in my life, I don't need any help being depressed!!!

I don't think I will be going back to see him anytime soon. I'm actually looking for a new primary care physician. Am I wrong in thinking that I have the right to be seen by a doctor who wont judge me?

• No its not IMHO, remember we pay the doctors salary to help us and lecturing is not part of their job.I mean a simple informative talk to tell you about possible pitfalls about treatments is ok in my book.My PCP almost lost me after many years when he went over that line as well.I respect his opinion and we worked it out and understood mutually that I have been very responsible with other types of so called addictive drugs ie xanax, ambien, aivan over the years.

If you have been a compliant honest patient then it may start being time to look forward.