Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I cannot get approved for social security disability

Tossed asideTTossed aside Posts: 1
edited 03/26/2015 - 2:33 AM in Health Insurance Issues
I have been trying to get disability since March of 2007, I was rear ended by two trucks, on my way to work. I had worked there for 20 years. I had cervical fusion , left knee surgery, colon surgery. Besides the fusion I have 3 other bulging discs and one herniated disc in my neck, all with stenosis and spinal cord is pinched. My lower back has tree bulging discs and 1 herniated disc all with stenosis. My arms, hands and feet go numb and in chronic pain all the time. I also suffer from migraines, and anxiety . Prior to this I had my right shoulder reconstructed and only have 20 percent function in it. I am at the e r at least once a month and more than 4 times a year with blood presser over 200 from the pain. I have lost over 600,000 in wages and have lost or sold everything I own. I had a union job if I could ever get healthy I could return. It started when I was 39 I am 47 now. I have tons and tons of medical, my doc's say I am disabled, I take 6 norco and 4 methadone s a day plus meds for anxiety . I live in Illinois WHAT AM I DOING WRONG
Left to suffer

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Please take the time to read this post and refer to it when you have questions

I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and growing.
    Here are just some of the highlights that are available as tabs on the main Spine-Health menu bar

Spine-Health Main Menu Tabs

Conditions Detailed medical libraries of articles and videos that address almost every spinal condition.
    Treatment List of treatments to the conditions identified by Spine-Health.
    Wellness Section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.
    Medical Articles
    Pain Forums These are the forums you will be using
    Find A Doctor This provides with a method to search for doctors in various locations.
    Videos Index to all Spine-Health Videos

As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here you can meet thousands of people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family[/u] who provide comfort and the advantages of a support system. You are now part of this family that is approximately 27,00 international members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts[u] do not violate any of the rules.[/u]

- All new members must read our FAQ in order to understand the layout of the forums, how to navigate through the forums, helpful terms, how to make effective threads and posts, plus a link index to many of the important medical forums and key medical articles on Spine-Health Forum FAQ

I am positive any member, new or old will find this Chroinc Pain - Step by Step thread very valuable.

Here are some links that all new members need to review to create effective threads and more

Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

You can also find Spine-Health on these Social Networks

Facebook www.facebook.com/spinehealth
    Pinterest http://pinterest.com/spinehealth/boards/
    Twitter https://twitter.com/SpineHealth

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the private message facility to[u] contact any one of the Spine-Health Moderators

Doug Hell

Also working with us very closely is Allison Walsh from the Spine-Health company

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • EMS GuyEEMS Guy Posts: 916
    edited 04/07/2015 - 4:51 AM
    Do you have a lawyer? If not, find one that specializes in disability. If you do already have one, ask where you are at in the process.

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • 3 times been disabled since july 2014, nothing like your history, however I am told noone ever gets it the first submission and then it does take a lawyer to file for you. I am about to appeal my 3rd denial but finding an attorney. There are those out there if you can't afford and there are those who will settle once you settle which is probably the way I'll go because he'll want his money as much as I need mine.
    This can't be happening
  • You can be approved the first time you apply without an attorney. I was approved the first time I applied with no attorney. I was on long-term disability and had the help of a company that processes SSDI applications. I had only been on long-term disability for three months and had received a letter stating that my long-term disability was being discontinued (denied) and was in the process of appealing that decision when I heard I had been approved. I was actually quite surprised because like many of you, I too, heard that no one is approved the first time.

Make sure you thorough document your daily living assessment. I detailed how my sleep was affected by my pain and how difficult it is to perform daily activities such as standing and walking. I also addressed the intimate details on my marriage and how pain has affected that.

I wish everyone luck.
    Chronic pain, Degenerative Disc Disease, Fibromyalgia, Hip Replacement Surgeries (Right/3x), Osteoarthritis, Sciatica (R), Spinal Stenosis, Spondylolisthesis, and Synovial Cysts
  • Coming off long term is the difference and key point you had the help of the company which would have a legal dept. Discontinued and denied 2 different things as well in the world of SSD. I had 2 dr's write extremely detailed information that doesn't get discussed over coffee....and I, like tossed aside (i do not have the ailments hes dealing with, but disabled is disabled) inability to perform your job or jobs held in the last 15 years. I have lost more in 12 months then most loose in a lifetime...I empathize with tossed aside....I am glad you were accepted. Can I ask your age range? people have said age has a lot to do with it as well.
    This can't be happening
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    Working for a large corporation, I was on STD Short Term Disability many times. Each one was 3 months in duration, and over a 5 year period of time, I was on STD about 4 times. The next step was LTD Long Term Disability. I qualified for it, but I guess I can only say because of being stubborn, I didnt want to go that route and continued to work.

That took a bigger toll, but that was my choice. I've since retired and have not look at permanent disability. But I did a lot of investigation and I was really surprised to find out that different states in the USA are much easier to get permanent disability than others. The Northeast is very difficult, perhaps the most difficult to get that. The South eastern states ( NC and SC specifically) are known to be the easiest to get approved.
    I have a friend who is a lawyer, (not a disability lawyer). He looked at all my medical records, etc. He told me I could get approved for permanent disability at the first approach down in those states. While he suggested, that it would take many attempts in doing the same in NY or CT.

Age is not always the main factor. You did not all the supporting evidence, doctors recommendation,etc Plus there will be a good look at your employment situation.

Can you perform you current duties?

and if not

Can you perform another task in your company?

Can you perform any task?

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • if you still are fighting i have information that may or could be helpful.
    This can't be happening
  • skyhunter71sskyhunter71 Valparaiso, Indiana, USAPosts: 17
    I just applied tor the third time, over the course of 10 years.  The first time, of course I was denied, and just healed after surgery and went back to work; it was more of a precautionary measure, in case my first spine surgery went sideways. The second time, denied again, got an attorney.  Made it in front of a judge, and ultimately was denied.  Decided not to appeal the judges decision, on the advice of my attorney.  Had to go back to work again.  My pain now controls my life and is ruining my marriage.  I got to the point where I was a bad employee (couldn't focus, complete work, short temper), so after discussion with my company, decided it was time for me to stop working and apply again.  After xrays, MRI, and the wonderful discogram with CT scan, I was told by my spine surgeon that all of my lumbar and sacral discs are completely deteriorated.  Nothing but the outer shell of the disc.  Lower spine is fully compressed, nerves crushed.  Surgery is not even an option. as no one can fuse 5 or 6 vertebrae.  The L5-S1 and L4-L5 discs made my cry and vomit on the operating table when he pressurized them during my discogram, but they all caused great pain at very low pressure.  Meaning there is no integrity for him to fuse any of the vertebrae.  So, I am stuck with this condition.  Pain management allows me to get out of bed and function somewhat during the day, but I can't work full time.  If approved, I want to try part time work.  I am on 6 different meds for pain to be able to function resembling a human being.  I have an appointment next week with my GP to talk about and get on an anti-depressant, which I know I desperately need, as depression goes hand in hand with chronic pain, and makes it worse.  The stress of having to fight my health insurance company, the mounting bills, and worrying about SSD is almost too much to bear.  My wife is supportive, but this completely controls my life, and is destroying my marriage.   I genuinely need SSD;  I don't just have asthma or am overweight like some people on SSD.  "How did I get here" - is there anything you can share with me that will give me the upper hand this time and increase my chances of getting SSD?  I just applied about 3 weeks ago.  Haven't been denied yet.  Wife just mailed back the questionnaire on my functionality.  I really need something to go my way.  Any help would be appreciated.  I live in the midwest, Indiana.  Thank you! 
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    You mentioned...you have an attorney.
    Is he a Disability attorney?
    If so, I sure understand your frustration.

With my Disability attorney guiding me and double checking everything before I mailed in forms or whatever....I never even went to hearing..and did get approved.

It is good you are going to speak with your GP re your emotions..depression.
    That is very important, also, re applying for disability.
    When doctor fills out forms re your disability,he needs to know everything that is limiting your life.
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History