Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I am new to this site and wanted to tell my story and get some responses as to what to expect later

edited 04/07/2015 - 8:55 PM in New Member Introductions
My back pain first started when I was 15 while I was lifting weights for football. It started at the beginning of 2013 and got progressively worse over the next few months. I went through six weeks of physical therapy which had no improvement on my condition. I had a MRI done and it showed that I had one herniated disk protruding into my nerves at the S1 level. I had a cortisone shot which didn't improve anything either. My Orthopedic Surgeon, who I'll call Mr. V, then suggested that I have a surgery to remove part of the herniated disk. This operation took place July 1, 2013. After I was done Mr. V told me that when he went in I actually had two herniated disks and one slightly bulging all on the left side at L4, L5, and S1. He removed parts of the two herniated disks and left the other alone. I can't recall exactly which was worked on but, these were the only places they mentioned. I had about two weeks of relief before pain set in again. I was prescribed 5mg hydrocodone for everyday use which helped immensely in the beginning. Soon the meds stopped working and my dose was bumped up to 7.5mg. It was around then I think my addiction slowly started forming. By September of 2013 I was in too much pain to do anything even on pain killers so I was given another cortisone shot which was also ineffective. And so I was scheduled for round 2 in back surgery on October 21, 2013. This was the same surgery as last time and again two discs were worked on that I can't recall exactly but it was either L4, L5, or S1. Again I lasted about two weeks. I was then given 10mg hydrocodone. This is where things started to get bad. I was in extreme pain and I had also started snorting my hydrocodone when out doing things. It gave a stronger effect for a shorter time which allowed me to do some things. It got to the point where it wasn't about pain though and I realized what was happening but I couldn't stop. Three at a time weren't doing anything anymore so back to Mr. V we went. He was a lot more serious this time and said that he wanted to go ahead and do a spinal fusion at the L5-S1 area. I was pretty devastated that I was getting a third surgery, but I hoped it would be the last. The surgery was on January 13, 2014. I was in a lot of pains afterwards, but it soon went away and I started feeling normal again. I completely stopped taking pain medication and I felt amazing. The only downside was I missed almost all of my junior year of high school. After this third surgery though I developed severe depression. I was given Celexa and and was soon on max dosage. Life pretty much stopped for long time. I didn't really get out of my funk until starting my Senior Year. After thing was going smoothly until exactly five days from the anniversary of my last surgery while getting in a car I had a huge bolt of pain shoot through my body. I was so scared and didn't know what to do. After talking to doctors, getting MRI's, and doing PT I found out I had multiple minor bulging disks. Mr. V said he didn't want to do surgery and basically said cya without any advice or referrals. I soon contacted the Pain Management Clinic that did my cortisone shots. The doctor that did all my previous ones suggested doing another. As i figured it was my only option we had it scheduled for this morning. I am now sitting at home resting wondering what my life will be like. My depression is crippling I hardly care about anything anymore and wonder if I'm going to graduate high school. I have no desire to continue building a life anymore. I know this long rant was extremely winey and long but I'm used to bottling everything thing up and thought talking to someone in the same position would help. Thank you for reading my story.

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Please take the time to read this post and refer to it when you have questions

I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and growing.
    Here are just some of the highlights that are available as tabs on the main Spine-Health menu bar

Spine-Health Main Menu Tabs

Conditions Detailed medical libraries of articles and videos that address almost every spinal condition.
    Treatment List of treatments to the conditions identified by Spine-Health.
    Wellness Section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.
    Medical Articles
    Pain Forums These are the forums you will be using
    Find A Doctor This provides with a method to search for doctors in various locations.
    Videos Index to all Spine-Health Videos

As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here you can meet thousands of people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family[/u] who provide comfort and the advantages of a support system. You are now part of this family that is approximately 27,00 international members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts[u] do not violate any of the rules.[/u]

- All new members must read our FAQ in order to understand the layout of the forums, how to navigate through the forums, helpful terms, how to make effective threads and posts, plus a link index to many of the important medical forums and key medical articles on Spine-Health Forum FAQ

I am positive any member, new or old will find this Chroinc Pain - Step by Step thread very valuable.

Here are some links that all new members need to review to create effective threads and more

Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

You can also find Spine-Health on these Social Networks

Facebook www.facebook.com/spinehealth
    Pinterest http://pinterest.com/spinehealth/boards/
    Twitter https://twitter.com/SpineHealth

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the private message facility to[u] contact any one of the Spine-Health Moderators

Doug Hell

Also working with us very closely is Allison Walsh from the Spine-Health company

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • horselady21hhorselady21 Posts: 174
    edited 04/07/2015 - 11:03 PM
    You are so young to have to go through all this pain. No wonder you are depressed. We older people kind of expect to suffer with failing body parts, so in that respect, we can deal with it better.

I have 2 suggestions for you. First, either have a long, meaningful talk with your current pain management dr, or find a new one. One pain medication usually Isn't enough on its own to control chronic pain. You need to find the right combination of meds and procedures. It can take time and trial and error, so be patient. There are very effective non- narcotic meds:anti-inflammatory, nerve pain meds, muscle relaxer, etc. And given your bout with narcotic abuse, it might well be safer to consider meds like Tramadol and buprenorphine.

Next, and very important, I think you would benefit from seeing a counselor. I know a lot of people don't think it helps, but you need to be able to talk about your pain and how you deal with it. A good therapist can help in so many ways. It also helps to have a friend or family members who can be there for you.

Please keep in touch here. Pm me if you want. I want to help you get through this.
  • I had these issues take place well before old years. I went through the stages of death. With the loss of the ability to work, be a full functioning husband, having to catheter.

After a while you will find your mind getting stronger in the ability to function given the pain. You will go through several docs but the right one is out there. There are devices that can help and science is on the roll.

Don't lose hope.
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    Wanted to add that horse lady sounds right on.
    Having depression with chronic pain is not unusual. I think your med should work for both..pain and depression.
    But that's a could of, would of ,should of.

All meds effect people differently...so monitor yourself..and moods...and self thoughts. There are other meds out there and it is trial and try again...as horse lady also said.
    And it is important to have support group. We can be a part of that and you may be surprised at number of young people here. You may not feel like it now....but look around the site and you may later want to start a thread looking for those younger people to share what is unique in your young lives.

Please keep open honest communication with your doc. He needs to know everything to help you navigate through this painful and uncertain time in your life.
    Keep us posted on how you are doing!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History