Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

rfa ineffective for facet joint arthropathy

Hey everyone,
I had Radiofrequency Ablation for my lumbar facet joints three weeks ago. I realize that my pain might not every be fully relieved. Or maybe I need rfa done again?

Does anyone have any experience with facet problems and low back pain??

I also have two weeks off opiates

• So tomorrow I will be having my first block, a little unsettled from what I am reading and what the doctors are telling me. Been having pain for over 10 years lumbar L4 thru S1 are fused. All tests point to L3 has shifted 4 mm. One doc says that is nothing the other says 1mm is to much. Not really sure the docs even know what is going on.
  • I also had a lumbar fusion with disc replacement l4 l5 s1 back in 2001. Now I suffer from DDD, arthritis in my facet joints, moderate bulging disc l3 and l2. Moderate to advanced central stenosis and l2 has moved slightly out of place from a car accident, at least I think that is when it happened. I have had countless steroid injections over the past 10 years to help with pain. I just recently had RFA. First I had 3 nerves burned on my left side and just this past week I had RFA on my right side. My post op was a extremely different experience between my left and right side. I had minimally to moderate discomfort after my left side was done that last for about 1 week post RFA. With my right side I'm having severe pain post op and I'm now 9 days into recovery including the day of procdure. I have kept a daily pain diary both times. The diagnostic never block test they do before RFA is so easy. I was sedated for the injections. He did 6 injections. 3 on either side. I had amazing results from it. I found myself almost pain free the day of and the day after the nerve blocks. It was an amazing break from the chronic debilitating pain I have on a regular basis. I was very optimistic going into RFA because I had such a fantastic experience from the nerve blocks. What kind of pain do you have now? How are you feeling since your RFA?
    Kristie H
  • Had the RF today, they did L1 - L3 left side. Sat for 20 minutes, legs and left knee went numb after 10 minutes stood up and pain was still there. Needless to say they failed me!! PM does not know where to go from here. Changing pain med in pump next week. Wonder if they could make a T in the cath from the pump to go to upper level of pain. Still having pain several hours after work up.

Any suggestions!!
  • still no pain relief for me.....
  • According to my Pain Management doctor they will only do one RF workup is what they call it. I have had every kind of test/procedure there is with no relief. Really bites the big one, as this has been going on for five years. What they say is very true I have had doctors or at least that is what there title is, that have told me point blank that the pain is all in my head. However, after my pain doc looked at the same test results and said that there is evidence of lumbar radiculopathy hoping that the RF would work but didn't. Know thinking it is either worse then they thought or something totally different.
    Not only is this very frustrating, but depressing at the same time. I am a very firm believer that if the body sends a signal to the brain that it hurts there is a reason why it hurts!! But until they figure it out I just have to keep moving forward and onward.