Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Sweet RainSSweet Rain Posts: 6
edited 04/14/2015 - 3:06 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi there,

It's great to know that there are others like me out there, but really sad at the same time.

I'm Lorraine, I'm 45 years old, and I have had a micro-discectomy on L5 in July of 2012.

I've had back pain pretty much since I grew 7 inches in one summer (7th - 8th grade). Sometimes it would be really bad and I could barely walk, other times is was just a dull ache. When I was pregnant with my second child I developed sciatica and twice at work my legs gave out when I stood up from my desk and I fell the ground. Needless to say they put me on bed rest until I delivered her. After her birth my back felt much better and it was life as usual. With the occasional flare up.

I went to help my sister take care of her children after she broke both legs and had to have surgery in May 2012. I did a lot of bending over while cleaning and playing with the kids. I got a little sore, but it wasn't anything I couldn't handle. When I got home the pain was a little worse, but I usually could rest up on the couch a couple of days and it would get better. It was different this time; nothing seemed to help, not even my muscle relaxer. One afternoon I was lying on the couch and sneezed. I honestly thought I broke my back I was in so much pain. Long story short my son rushed me to the emergency room and they gave me a lovely cocktail of medication that made me forget how bad the pain was. They prescribed Percocet and sent me on my way. My husband took me to my regular doctor two days later and she had an emergency MRI done as I was loosing my ability to walk. That landed me in a surgeon's office and he said he rarely recommended surgery right out the gate, but he feared I wouldn't be able to walk if I didn't have surgery. He indicated I already had some nerve damage. On July 5, 2012 I had surgery and was able to walk by the time I left the center. On my check up visit I asked if I needed physical therapy (PT) to which he replied no, just take these (3 pamphlets) and do the exercises in them. So I did for many weeks, and yet I felt I was going backwards in my recovery. To this day I still suffer with back pain on a daily basis, and quite honestly feel as if my "normal life" is gone forever. I used to play tennis, go to the batting cages, and my favorite thing ride roller-coasters. Now I'm lucky if the car ride to the store doesn't cause me a lot of pain. I don't take any medications for my back at this time. I gave up on the exercises and quite frankly pretty much everything fun. My life quality has gone downhill and I'm looking for hope.

I had lost a 100 pounds prior to my L5 blowing out (best way I can think to describe it) and because of my pain, I'm not active and the weight is creeping back, which I know is terrible for my back.

I'm hoping that someone has a story of victory and can encourage me to do what I need to do to get as close to my normal as I can.

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Please take the time to read this post and refer to it when you have questions

I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and growing.
    Here are just some of the highlights that are available as tabs on the main Spine-Health menu bar

Spine-Health Main Menu Tabs

Conditions Detailed medical libraries of articles and videos that address almost every spinal condition.
    Treatment List of treatments to the conditions identified by Spine-Health.
    Wellness Section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.
    Medical Articles
    Pain Forums These are the forums you will be using
    Find A Doctor This provides with a method to search for doctors in various locations.
    Videos Index to all Spine-Health Videos

As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here you can meet thousands of people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family[/u] who provide comfort and the advantages of a support system. You are now part of this family that is approximately 27,00 international members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts[u] do not violate any of the rules.[/u]

- All new members must read our FAQ in order to understand the layout of the forums, how to navigate through the forums, helpful terms, how to make effective threads and posts, plus a link index to many of the important medical forums and key medical articles on Spine-Health Forum FAQ

I am positive any member, new or old will find this Chroinc Pain - Step by Step thread very valuable.

Here are some links that all new members need to review to create effective threads and more

Read before you post
    Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

You can also find Spine-Health on these Social Networks

Facebook www.facebook.com/spinehealth
    Pinterest http://pinterest.com/spinehealth/boards/
    Twitter https://twitter.com/SpineHealth

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the private message facility to[u] contact any one of the Spine-Health Moderators

Doug Hell

Also working with us very closely is Allison Walsh from the Spine-Health company

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • I feel like I recognize a lot of the stuff from your post in my life, which makes me sorry for us. Car rides really stink for me, by the time I'm comfortable the ride is over - i don't have anywhere to kind of elevate my left leg without crossing it. When you mentioned sneezing I had to write! They don't worsen my condition like it sounds like happened with you, but a sneeze will send my hip into that deep sharp burning pain - that's so frustrating because otherwise I can be pretty comfortably situated in the recliner or whatever and boom! I'm gaining weight like its my job. I've had a tad bit of an unhealthy weight for a while now but this is the heaviest I've ever been, as stupid as it sounds this has bothered me in the wrong way just because I feel like my looks are gone - when I should be worried about it making my conditions worse. I'm sorry, I know I didn't really share any useful information but I just wanted to let you know I'm here and feeling a lot of the same things, like my normal life is gone. Lately it's all been worse than ever and I can only hope it's the crescendo of all this business. Anyway I just wanted to let you know I'm here too and say hi ☺️
    Samantha 28 yrs old
  • DanielCDanielC Posts: 155
    edited 04/15/2015 - 6:46 AM
    Yeah weight is a big issue when you deal with spine problems. I had surgery 7 weeks ago and before and during recovery I managed to loose nearly 30 pounds from 183 down to 155. It's all about dieting and burning calories. 1 mile of walking will burn as many calories as one mile of running. You should start being more active and also diet. You can't afford to be overweight when it comes to this sort of health problems.
  • Samantha,

Hi and thanks for your reply. I totally understand about being concerned with looks, I struggle with that as well. I don't want to gain all that weight back. I liked how I looked prior to my surgery and now I just feel dumpy and it's back to sweatpants and oversized shirts. I somehow have to motivate myself to get moving, pain or not. I have kind of the opposite problem in the car; I am usually ok for short rides but anything over 20 minutes and my feet start tingling, by legs ache, and eventually my back starts hurting. Thank goodness for heated seats, it usually takes the edge off the pain. Keep in contact and hopefully we can help each other.

How did you lose the weight? I struggle with even walking for long periods of time. I am decent with my diet, but I know that could always use improvement. When I lost my 100 lbs, I did 90% through changing my diet and portion control.

• DanielCDanielC Posts: 155
    edited 04/16/2015 - 9:44 PM
    Hey Lorraine. I lost weight by controlling what and how much I was eating. I also walked a lot even if in pain. Prior to becoming practically paralysed I had a pretty decent walk until one night when I tried to get up of bed and I couldn't do it even with the house on fire lol.
    So I guess that's it yeah pretty much 70 diet and the rest walking.
    How do you feel today?
  • Lorraine - I'd love to talk more and stay in touch! You can write me here or get my number/email. I've been buying kimonos to wear in the hot weather, they're pretty and forgiving ☺️ In the next couple of days I want to try a new chair at my makeup table, before the pain got to this level I did it on myself and others (dances, weddings) all the time - it was a huge part of my life. I look into body acceptance and confidence stuff too, I know I need to loose as much as I can for my condition but in the meantime it's not good to stay down on myself either. I'm sorry I know it's off topic as far as medical topics go, but it is still a mental wellness issue. Honestly as great as that stuff is I still have to get myself into the right mental state - depression/ocd have always been two of my masters so now it's even harder you know? Fashion and makeup were always good breaks from the dark times but it's more difficult now. I did my little introduction on here a couple of days ago, didn't intend for it to turn into a short novel but it explains some things better than I'm doing here.
    Anyway once again I'm too long winded but I hope this all finds you in a good mood ❤️
  • Daniel,

Sorry it took me long to get back, our house is for sale and I have to keep my laptop "hidden" and well out of sight out of mind. I started walking again. It's hard, but after a few days of short walks with my hubby and 3 beagles I felt a lot better last night. I'm a sugar-oholic and I'm trying to cut it out little by little. Another tough thing for me. I hope you are feeling good this week.
  • Samantha,

Have you had surgery yet? I didn't see it in your posts to me. Since my surgery I have gone back to wearing yoga pants and oversized tee shirts. I even stopped cutting my hair. I told my therapist that I stopped caring again about my looks. I understand about depression, it was a constant in my life until 2008. I hadn't been depressed since then until my surgery and then losing my best friend last year; hence the reason for therapy. I am feeling a bit better and started walking again. I use my 3 adorable beagles to get motivated to walk as I don't want them to get unhealthy. I guess I'm better at taking care of others rather than myself. I'm glad you wrote to me and I am looking forward to getting to know you better. I hope we can support each other and get us both back to being gorgeous! Lol!
  • Hey Lorraine. That's alright I got my first haircut a few days ago after about four months. I was looking pretty much like a ware-wolf :) Now I am back to my old looks haha. Take care now.
    p.s. Lay off those sweets :))
  • Samantha,

Was wondering how you were doing. I tried to email you but not sure if you received it or not.

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    edited 06/02/2015 - 6:19 AM
    I was wondering how you are doing lately?
    Do you still feel your life and physical limitations are bring your life downhill?

Was wondering if you are being treated by primary doctor? Or better yet pain management?
    Please don't give up in talking with your doc about your symptoms.
    This chronic pain certainly gives us physical hit, but it also takes a toll on us emotionally and mentally.

Those are important symptoms to tell doc about, included in your physical pain symptoms.

Re your diet, I wonder if you spoke to a dietician?
    They can be so helpful for nutritional and satisfying diet.
    They are experienced with diet for people with extreme limitataitions with their physical activities.

I wish you the best!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History